how to earn MCPD for Web developer

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by muryali, Apr 15, 2010.

1. muryali

muryali New Member

Hi all

I have done Msc in computer science now I want to earn Microsoft certification in Web development but I am confused as lost of material is on the microsoft's web site about this certification. First I came to know that for MCPD (Web development) I need exam 70-536, 70-528, 70-547 but later I knew that this is very old and it is for Visual studio 2005 but now a days visual studio 2008's certification is available and after that when I tried to downlad software it is showing that now visual studio 2010 certification is availableand for that I need different exam papers. Any one can tell me please which certification is for me and what exams I need to prepare and from where can I get exam material.

Many thanks

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCPD covers .Net 2, .Net 3/3.5 and the current beta of .Net 4.

The level of the MCPD: Two to three years of experience developing solutions by using Visual Studio and the Microsoft .NET Framework

The right track for you is the one that you work with, if you work with .Net 2 then go for the certification route that deals with .Net 2. If you work with .Net 3/.Net 3.5 then choose the route that deals with .Net 3/.Net 3.5.

See here, pick a track and follow it.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. muryali

muryali New Member

thanks for replying. Dear I don't have any experience of .Net but I have lots of experience of other languages. I am absolutely new for Microsoft certification and I want certification of web development in latest tools. (ie. MCPD latest course or exams)

4. muryali

muryali New Member

Hi
    I am new for ASP.Net and I want to get certification. I have finished one book "Teach yourself ASP.NET in 21 days" but now I want certification in this field. Any one can help me please how can I get it. I wasted lot of my time.

Thanks

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're really going to struggle without any experience.
    Even if your 'other languages' have given you a a good insight into object-oriented programming, without hands-on experience with Visual Studio you're not going to make it.

Don't forget that Microsoft certifications are all about doing things the Microsoft way using Microsoft products, so experience in similar technologies isn't always a help with passing the exams.

It took me about two years to get into ASP.NET enough to take the first of the MCSD exams, and that was coming from a strong background of web design and other programming languages. 21 days isn't going to cut it.

Do you have Visual Studio? Have you ever used it?

I'm not sure what your urgency is, because attempting to rush a cert just for the sake of having it = Fail.

By all means persevere, study, practice and experiment - but please stop looking for a short cut.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. muryali

muryali New Member

Yes Thanks for advice. I have worked on it little bit just I have made two static web sites and some exercises in the book I already have discussed.
    The emergency is this that I have done two masters in Computer science but still unable to find a job. I want to learn it as quick as possible I have wasted lot of my time.

I have started another book 'Wrox.Professional.ASP.NET.3.5.SP1.Edition.In.C.Sharp.and.VB.Apr.2009' the requirement of this book is Visual Studio 2008 but it is not available on the web site.

Thanks

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, that's part of the problem.
    Visual Studio is just one of those MS products that they don't like giving away for free.
    You didn't even used to get it in the action pack, although it was available on MSDN.

I'm not sure what the going rate is for the current version, but the enterprise version of 2003 was over a grand.

There were cut-down and third party IDE's that you could play around with, but ultimately they're a sales tool and of no use for the exams because a lot of the key functionality is missing.

I'm not trying to put you off, but your post is something along the lines of 'I want to get my HGV license but can't get hold of a lorry to practice in'.

8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

should be easy enough to purchase visual studio 2008 online from places like Amazon or Newegg. I don't know much about this but what about downloading the visual studio 2008 express editions?? They are still available online. Would you not be able to do most of the exercises from the book?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. muryali

muryali New Member

No No I was working on ASP.Net visual web developer express edition. Now I have got Visual studio 2008 90days trial. But when I use any book they required different version. But now this problem is almost sorted out as it is now downloading.

but still I am confused which book should I follow i have got one 'Wrox.Professional.ASP.NET.3.5.SP1.Edition.In.C.Sharp.and.VB .Apr.2009' is this ok? I want only web development in .NET latest version.

I am starting it by myself without any classes or any one's help.

thanks

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Definately a good start, but not good enough to pass the exams...

11. muryali

muryali New Member

What you think after finishing this book, will I be able to work on web development professional. Or can you recommend any other book.

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, you can read as many books as you like but without getting some experience with an IDE, you're not going to be able to work as a web developer, at least not with something like ASP.NET, or pass the certification exams. But you don't need to just to get started.

There are elements of web design which don't require expensive software and that may be a good place to start. If you haven't already, you could do with getting your head around HTML or XHTML. It's handy to be able to build functional static web pages before you start doing back-end stuff.

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Express editions are fine for 80%+ of the exam content. You should however at least spend some time with the professional version as well if you hope to pass, even if its just an evaluation version.

If you still have student status you can get full versions through DreamSpark.

I have no idea how you could manage to get through two masters with an interest in programming without touching Visual C++, Visual Basic or C# ? It would be partly your responsibility to ensure you weren't wasting your time. Why didn't you use the time to pick them up then ?

Jonny is right in that there are no quick fixes, you are looking at thousands or hours practice and experience and 2000+ pages of reading before you are likely to be anywhere near ready for starting to study for the MCPD.

Really you should be at least in a junior development position using MS tech before starting.

Once you have learnt the technologies involved (C#/VB.NET, .NET framework, HTML, CSS, XML, SQL/DDL, JQuery, IIS, MS SQL Server, XPath, LINQ, etc) and development processes (SCRUM/Agile, Project Management, Design, Design Patterns, UML, Third Normal Form, etc.) you will ready to start to study for the MCPD exams.

Microsoft then supply a 1000 page book per exam, you will need at least three exams and books to get MCPD.

14. muryali

muryali New Member

Thanks for that its very good advice. I am very afraid as I have wasted lots of my time in different other things in computer science and have done my two masters but still I am unable to get my job. I also have wasted lot of my time on Oracle8i and developer 2000.

Would you recommend any book for me, so that after reading that one I will be able to develop and design a good interactive web site. currently I am reading 'Wrox.Professional.ASP.NET.3.5.SP1.Edition.In.C.Sharp.and.VB.Apr.2009'. what you suggest is it fine for me.

15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Wrox books tend to be good example / prototype style books, but they tend not to make great references or in depth tutorials.

As such they should meet your aims to get a site up quickly, but they probably won't make you an expert.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010