How to connect to internet on a win 98 P.C.

Discussion in 'Software' started by law123, Mar 28, 2005.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

:helpread Hello all I am still studying away. Ok this is the problem it may be in 2 parts. One of my P.Cs I have set up Windows 98SE I am connecting to the internet using a cable modem. I have been able to connect to the internet do all the security updates Etc. The only thing is there is no icon in the taskbar to see when I am connected or not. And I have no way of disconnecting from the internet as I have no icon on desktop to let me give an option to disconnect. I have tried looking in internet connections. I have tried setting up connection manually and also with disk from ISP I remember I had this little problem before with a windows ME computer and for the life of me I cannot remember what the solution was. Can any of you guys help?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi Law123,

Unfortunatley there isn't a network connection taskbar icon available for NT4, 95, 98 and ME. They provided one for dial up connections though, but not for network connections. You may have used a 3rd party product in the past to provide one!

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hmmmm. I've never connected a Windows 98SE machine to the Internet other than with dialup. If your 98 machine connects using a cable modem, why would you want to disconnect? Usually DSL and Cable users have an "always on" connection. I suppose if you want to isolate the 98 machine from the rest of the network, you could just undo the LAN cable.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. law123

law123 Byte Poster

:helpread Thanks Drum_Dude I thought I was going mad maybe it was a third party software. Do you know of any? Also thanks Trip there is no actual reasoning for me to disconnect I just remembered I had the same problem on a Windows ME machine a few years ago and as always I don’t like anything to get the better of me. Very stubborn I suppose but that is a way I learn. So please be patient with me at times when I come up with such problems LOL. Anyway still trying to get this solved has anyone got any ideas or sites I can try as I am not likely to give up. :D

5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I seem to remember using something 5 years ago on a ME machine but I can't remember what it was. To be honest all I did was a Google search on Network monitoring software for 95/98/ME. But it was a while ago!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey law

I'm on cable and as Sacha said it is an always on connection. Therefore the only way to turn it off is to power down the modem. Why not just download the free version of Zonealarm. That has an option to turn off the internet connection through the firewall and you get the flashing lights in the task bar telling you whether there is network traffic.

HTH :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good idea AJ 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Ok AJ :D

I see where you are coming from but I have already got Norton internet security running so I don’t think having 2 similar programs running would be advisable as there more than likely be conflicts, Yes powering down the modem is a option but I don’t have a power switch on my modem it is quite old (about 3 to 4 years old) so I have to pullout the power supply. Anyway as I said I have done it before in the past and I am just stumped on how I done it. Any ideas anyone and yes I know it is an always on connection.