How to build a case to ask your employer to fund your training and exams

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JK2447, Mar 12, 2023.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Recently I was talking to a friend who struggles to get training and certification from their employer, meaning they have to pay for it themselves. I’ve been in this situation myself, I recall one company paying for my VCP4 training and certification, but no more. Lucky for me, if you sit a VMware Certified Professional exam in the same subject (Data Center Virtualisation in my case) in under two years, you can get the latest version of the cert without sitting the relatively expensive course.

It can be difficult to fund training and certification at times. Training budgets and company performance all come into play. At times an employer just can’t do it. From our perspective as IT professionals, it’s important that we feel like we did all that we can, so that if it’s a no, you gave it your best shot.

If you want to convince your company to invest in your IT certification, you'll often need to build a strong case for how the certification will benefit both you and the company. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Research the certification: Start by researching the certification you're interested in and learn about its benefits, costs, and requirements. Understand the skills and knowledge you'll gain from the certification, and how it can help you and the company achieve your goals.

2. Identify the benefits: Think about how the certification will benefit your work and the company's objectives. Will it help you perform your current job better or prepare you for future roles? Will it help the company improve its processes, customer service, or productivity? Be specific about the benefits and quantify them where possible.

3. Develop a plan: Create a plan that outlines how you'll prepare for and complete the certification. Include a timeline, study materials, and any training or support you'll need. Consider the costs of the certification, including exam fees, study materials, and travel expenses if necessary.

4. Talk to your manager: Schedule a meeting with your supervisor to discuss your interest in the certification and present your plan. Be clear about the benefits to both you and the company, and be prepared to answer any questions or concerns. You can also ask if the company has a policy or program for supporting employee development and education.

5. Follow up: After your meeting, follow up with your supervisor to confirm any next steps or agreements made. Continue to update your supervisor on your progress, and share any successes or benefits you've achieved from the certification.
    Overall, the key is to demonstrate the value of the certification and how it aligns with the company's goals and objectives. By doing so, you'll increase your chances of getting the support you need to achieve your certification goals.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Kopite_21 likes this.