How similar are the MCAD exams to transcender?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Atari, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Hi all,

After reading through the Microsoft Press "Exam 70-315: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET" book and completing the majority of the examples, I decided to purchase the Transcender test exams.

The first time through I managed a 52% score. Great :blink I've now done another test exam and scored 76%.

Any advice? I feel like I'm starting to remember the answers in the transcender exam now. Is this a bad thing?

Also, as my company are paying for training materials - are there any other 'good' testing software apps?

Cheers :biggrin

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I always like the exam force "cram master" they do modules for most certs and will do life memberships as well. You can normally download a trial/ "special Edition" which is effectively a smaller pool of questions from their website.

Good Lucj

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

If you keep taking the same questions, then you will pick out the correct answers. You could see if there are any questions you can get from Measure Up or Self Test to supplement your questions.

The important thing I find is not only to get a question right, but to understand why I got it right. If you got a question right, but you know in your heart of hearts that it was because you remembered the answer from last time, then that won't help you. Research the question, and the answer, using MS and Google to help you fully prepare.

4. LayaboutSi

LayaboutSi Bit Poster

Hello again Atari

Pleased to see you are making progress towards that antipodean goal.

I used transcenders for one exam and worked through and retook every exam until I managed a score of 100% on them all. At the start I was getting around 50% on some of the exams but persisted with it.

Transcender content does not (and cannot) represent the actual exams but it definitely helps with breaking down the structure of the questions and shows how to logically derive an answer. Effectively, they give enough of a understanding of the exam-taking concepts to be able to calmly work through to get answers.

I would suggest getting hold of as many tests as possible (i.e. MeasureUp, etc); practise and more practise definitely helps.

Hope this helps.

Si

Certifications: Prince2, MCAD, MCSD, 70-431
    WIP: Advanced chillout
  5. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice all.

Couldn't agree more. As i've gone over the answers that I got wrong - I found the correct answer obvious by reading through the question for the second time.

I think I'll try and hit 100% in the random Transcender exams (I just scored 90%) and then move on to the MeasureUps as suggested. Once I'm hitting 100% across all of them I'll book my first exam! Then i'll spend the remaining time going over the material etc. Good plan?

Does anyone have an updated list of UK based Microsoft exam centers?

6. LayaboutSi

LayaboutSi Bit Poster

If you pass this one, then the plan is a good one. :biggrin

If you follow this link:
    http://www.prometric.com/Microsoft/default.htm

All the exam centres are listed during the process of booking an exam. You don't need to commit to the booking until the end. It also gives you the available time slots at each exam centre so you can pick the best for you.

7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I worked on a number of the MCAD exams when I worked at Transcender, so I can say that they cover the concepts covered on the actual exam, but as another poster said, the questions are not identical. Memorizing the questions will not do you any good. Instead, focus on learning the concepts covered in the questions. Also, realize that going through the exams multiple times will not accurately reflect how you will do on the live exam because, as you're finding out, you start to remember which answers are correct.

I concur with the other advice to buy another practice test (or at least download the demo) before taking the live exam. Of the available options out there, I'd probably suggest getting the MeasureUp.

8. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Prometric are asking for my "MCP Id"? :blink

9. LayaboutSi

LayaboutSi Bit Poster

Leave it blank for first exam registration; Prometric will update your record with it once you pass your first exam and have been given a MCP ID.

10. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Well I was seriously considering booking my exam when I spoke to an old colleage who already has an MCSD. He said he found the Microsoft exams a lot harder than the Transcenders as the real exams are more specific and full of misleading text as opposed to Transcender's 2-3 lines.

I also downloaded the Measure Up examples as suggested and scored pretty bad in the 7 questions asked (none of these topics seemed to be covered in the MS books or the Transcender).

I'm not sure what to do now, this stuff is HARD.

11. LayaboutSi

LayaboutSi Bit Poster

I wouldn't write it off without at least trying it for yourself - the views of others are not necessarily always true. I was less than confident going into my last exam but still came through it with a pass (and that is the ultimate goal).

Even if you do book in an exam now, you will probably have another week or two's wait to go over what you have learned. Put that time to good use and try as much practical exercises as you can. If you can see it on screen it may be easier to visualise in the exams.

I would also recommend the Exam Cram books if you haven't already seen them - full of useful refreshers. And plenty more questions! :sleeping

Keep with it.