How much

Discussion in 'A+' started by flex22, Apr 12, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

How much do the exams cost :?:

Also which one do you usually take first, and can you take them both at the same time.I read in the main A+ thread that it's only 30 questions, and take 30 mins.

I'm thinking that you could easily do both exams on the same day, or am I wrong.

Also I just read another thread in this forum about Mix and Match or something.I'm a bit confused about this, what exactly does it mean.

I noticed it said June 30 deadline, which isn't far off.I have the Mike Meyers book 4th edition.Will this book be ok to use after 30 June, or will I need a different book.This is what I'm worried about.

Thing is I've been reading the A+ book today, and feel comfortable with many of the concepts, and with some revision should be ok for this.Of course certain areas I'm clueless about, or really need a lot of focus, but again I'm not too worried about this.Shouldn't take me too long to get up to speed.

It just seems stupid that I know a lot of this stuff, eyt I ahvent' got the cert.
    So the knowledge I possess isn't being utilised.

Employers of course can only go by the Cert's you have, mainly, to trust that you have reached a certain level.

Anyway if you can answer my questions that would be a great help.

2. Nutman

Nutman New Member

Flex,

The exams cost £100+VAT each (Software and hardware). I did the hardware exam first but i don't think it really matters what order you do them in.

I think you may have been reading about the old exam, the exams that I sat in the last 3 months bot had 80 questions and you get 90 minutes to complete it. You could probably do both in one day if you were confident enough and providing you can get booked to do both on the same day.

Don't know about mix and match or the June 30th deadline but I know they did change the A+ last year so would they change again so soon after?

Any more questions just ask and I'll try to answer.

Craig

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I took both separately Flex - felt I was too green about the gills to do my first Cert in one day.

I would also go with Nutman on the times/ ques - no way is it (they) 30 ques in 30 min. Whatever, good luck Flex - nail the material, book the exams, and keep us informed.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I took both at once, basically because I was so nervous, I couldn't bear the thought of taking one then waiting a week to take the other and only then finding out if I was going to be certified or not.

If I recall, the test was adaptive but no longer is. When I took it, the A+ was adaptive so there was a possible range of test questions. If you did well at a question, you got a tougher one next time, if you did lousy at one, you got an easier shot...up to a point. Because it was adaptive, I had no idea when it would end so when it did...and rather abruptly, I was shocked. For an instant, I thought I'd failed until my eyes were able to focus on the congratulations message on the monitor.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

When I sat the A+ the tests had just that week changed from the adaptive format to the linear so I did them a week apart just to make sure I was well prepared. There are approximately 80 questions on each of the A+ exams and you are allowed 90 minutes to complete each exam.

The A+ exams covering the 2003 objectives are graded on a scale of 100 – 900. The minimum score for the A+ Core Hardware exam is 515 and the minimum score for the A+ OS exam is 505.

The A+ exam was recently updated on November 26, 2003 to reflect current technologies and industry practises. Changes incorporated in the 2003 upgrade are not major. The certification content continues to validate that the successful candidate has important knowledge and skills necessary to competently install, build, configure, upgrade, troubleshoot and repair personal computer compatible hardware and PC operating systems, including troubleshooting basic network and Internet connectivity, dial-up, DSL, and cable.

In addition, the 2003 upgrade covers the latest memory, bus, peripherals, operating systems (Me and XP) and wireless.

You can download the exam objectives in PDF format here:
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp

Mix and Match is for candidates who have already passed the existing A+ Core Hardware or A+ Operating System Technologies exam testing against the 2001 objectives that may take their second exam with the 2003 upgraded objectives and still become A+ certified.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

BLIMEY i didnt realise the A+ had changed so much!

I took it about 2 years ago, 30 questions. Hardware only took me 20 questions and about 9 minutes, software a little longer.

From what i remeber the exam costs about £113 or something.

I suppose they had to revise it and make it a bit harder....

OH how times change!! :?

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Oh, well I read that on this forum, in the A+ details thread.Thought I'd mention it, in case you want to modify this.

Thanks for all the advice, brilliant :!:

Think I'll read my book and maybe open up my desktop now and then, and when I feel right with it, I'll book the exam.

Exams are expensive, but I read that you don't need to upgrade your A+, so it's a on off maybe......

Providing you pass that is :P

8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I did them both (and 210) on the same day!! But then I was mad :P :roll:

9. shalls

shalls Bit Poster

Just a quick word of warning. I took A+ Hardware on the 2003 objectives the other week. I have Mike Myers revised book. I aced all of the test exams on the accompanying cd but failed the real exam !, I only failed by one question though !, I had a score of 510 where as the passing score was 515 !, how gutted was I !

It's certainly not as easy as most people believe it to be. There are 80 questions as you know and whilst some are quite easy others are a little trickier !

I'm resitting the exam this Sat (24th Apr), I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (Gee Wow !)
    WIP: MCSE 2003 (no hope me thinks !)
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nothing is perfect. To add to it all, most people are quite nervous so anxiety can be counted on to lower your score...sometimes just enough to not pass. Then, there's always the question you weren't anticipating. I remember they asked a wireless question that the book (an earlier version) didn't cover. I guessed (correctly) and passed. Who knows what would have happened if I'd gotten it wrong. Good luck on the retry.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry to hear you failed shalls, good luck for sat. Nail it this time.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

What Si said, Shalls - fingers crossed .... :)

13. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Good luck Shalls, keep plugging away and your get there!!

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  14. shalls

shalls Bit Poster

Finally logged back in to certforums after a long long absence !!, just been reading up on previous threads that I had participated in and have noticed your best wishes for my A+ exam resit.

It was very warming to read your messages and I am pleased to advise that I nailed the exam on the next attempt !, so I now have my A+ (woo hoo).

I am now on the MCSE track on the 2003 criteria. Only taken the one exam so far for 70-290 and failed it by a long shot with a pathetic score of something like 470 !!! Ha Ha Ha.

Anyway, It's good to be back and I'll making a concerned effort to stay tuned in as this commuinity is definitely something that I want to be a part of.

Best Wishes to you all (you have been missed !)

Steve

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (Gee Wow !)
    WIP: MCSE 2003 (no hope me thinks !)
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, well done Steve - persistence is a virtue :D