How much of N+ is practisable....

Discussion in 'Network+' started by steveh2001, Sep 1, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hi guys!

New to the N+ just done my A+ and had a few questions...

WIth the A+ i had virtual PC's setup so i could practise everything 1st hand, and this helped a lot as im more likely to remember/understand things having actually performed it!

I was wondering how much of the N+ is "practisable" if thats a word, with VMware? Just i think the N+ will be a lot harder for me then the A+ so the chance to practise some of it would be great!

I have some experience of basic wired/wireless home networking as a starting point:D

Many thanks
    Steve

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Steve,

The good thing about the A+, N+ route is that you will have covered most (if not all) the topics briefly already. :)
    I would say most of the N+ work is theory.
    Good luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It is mostly theory to an extent, but if you work in an environment where you can see the different network types, connector types and physically configure them then that is where the practical element of N+ comes in.

Additionally you can gain hands on by practising some of the commands that help you troubleshoot network problems and look at their output.

8)

4. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks for the info guys! Glad some of it is covered before :D

Unfortunatly i dont directly deal with the physical networks at work, but i do have a bit of exposure to remote dial up access and general network issues which is good experience - also as you say simon the basics of the dos networking commands, e.g. ping ipconfig etc

Ive only ever covered TCP/IP though - and a tad of NetBEUI and apple link in A+. Is it possible to set up practice networks im VMWare i wonder? As this would be total new to me

Time to get started :D

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I'm kind of wondering exactly what hardware I need to continue through N+ too?Second pc?Server software,pink taffetta tutu?

So far it's all theory but there's going to be a point where i'll need to get my hands dirty I feel!

Right now I'm in the quagmire of OSI,its layers,sub-layers and vulcan mindmelt abilities.It is however starting to make sense,though I think as the rest of the course unfolds the whole mullarky will become much more self evident.OSI,as an example,needs nothing more than a clear head,a little positive thinking and lot's of patience,but no hardware is ever going to present OSI in all it's glory,since it actually only exists as theorum.dammit!In fact,I'm 6 chapters through a CBT and havn't felt the need to demolish a pc/operating system at all!I think I'll stay in tonight and take my sons' X-Box to pieces..8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As far as i can remember, you don't really need any hardware for N+.

With A+, i had an <old banger> of a machine for breaking to see what would happen if i did whatever to. The second A+ machine was booting 98 and 2000 to get familiar with the layout of the OS.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT