How much money would you like to earn?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ozzie, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

During an interview, I'm wondering weather it's appropriate, to disclose what salary you're looking for before you actually get a job offer. Is this not playing ball, or would a potential employer use this when weighing up candidate's.

In this instance the salary band in small, about 2K.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally provided that the salary band is mentioned in the initial job pack the I wouldnt mention the salary unless they bring it up. If they phone you and offer you the job they will state your starting salary. So if your not impressed with that you can either haggle or move on.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have just been discussing this on an earlier thread as I have applied for job and if given an interview the discussion of wages may come up.

I had to put in my current salary on the form which is £17402 (non IT job) and the job is for an IT Tech suppoprt administrator (trainee) with my current financial circumstances there is no way I can take a pay drop, but from what I see on the job spec it requires knowledge and skills that in my opinion a trainee would not have, hence the name trainee.

So I am hoping if given an interview they will already know my salary from the app form and want to pay me the same or more.

If they ask me "what do you want" I think I will say that "I can't afford to drop any money at the moment and what you want to offer me is up to you".

If they want me then they wont drop my money but they may not increase it untill I have passed a satisfactory time period.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's best to let them bring up the subject of salary. However, if you want to ensure that target companies are "in the ballpark" with regards to salary, then you can give a range. That said, know that giving a salary range can either:

a) immediately knock you out of contention, or
    b) reveal to the company that they can get you for less money than they were originally going to offer for the position.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

when i've been looking for jobs in the past whether i've applied personally or an agency contacting me i'll always get a phone call to discuss the job including the pay they're offering and then they'll always ask what i'm on or what i'm looking for.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Have a look around at other jobs in your area (reasonable travelling distance) for similar roles. Once you get a feel for the amount, then make a range around that.

Alternatively:
    1) If they ask you - whats your salary expectation - "the current market rate"
    2) if they push for a figure, state the range you discovered earlier.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. greenbrucelee

My town is not very big and the main jobs here are manufacturing and farming.

If an IT job does come up then its either for a small business like the solicitors I have applied to or the local council.

So a lot of these businesses when it come to wages for IT will probably differ greatly from somewhere like Manchester or Leeds.

So I am not sure what to expect if I go for the interview and a salary disscusion comes up.

8. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

So what you guys are saying then is that if asked about salary, it would be inappropriate to say "I'm not prepared to disclose my salary requirement unless I receive an offer for the job."

I suppose you could only say something like this if you know they really want to hire you.

9. greenbrucelee

I wouldn't put it like that, but I also wouldn't say give us 10k or you can bog off either.

You could always say "there was no mention of salary in the job advert or description, could you tell me what it may be"

And if they ask why say "You need to know for financial reasons" and if the pay does not atleast match what you need then you could decline I suppose.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dont say that mate! :biggrin Go for whatever the "current market rate" is as stated before. If they push for a figure then say around X would be great due to financial commitments blah blah 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee

Where do you find the current market rate?

12. Sparky

Just look for similar jobs in the same area. Also asking for the “current market rate” is code for “make me an offer” :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. greenbrucelee

Thats what I mean in my other post, IT jobs come up here very rarley there is no market here unless you are buying sheep or livestock.

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

My AIM is to get 100k GBP by the time I'm 30
    I'd settle for less than 200K USD due to the cost of living differences if i move state side
    It's not that unattainable in the part of the industry I work in to be honest, due to the fact there's a commission element to my work which can make up a hefty chunk

Do I let them know in the interview? depends who im being interviewed by
    If a job is a means to an end no, they will likely never pay that sort of money, or invest in someone enough to make it an acceptable middle ground
    for the right job? yes, I'd want them to know my goals and aspirations so that we can both work out if the role is the right fit, and if Im the right guy for the job

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  15. Sparky

Always wondered what Carlisle was like when Im driving down the M74\M6 on my road trips down south, if there is FA jobs going then is it a possibility to move? :blink

16. greenbrucelee

Not for 6 months, I was thinking that if I get no joy up here by the time my debts are paid then a move to Leeds may be on the cards as I know there area well (I went to uni there and lived there after uni, untill my debts got too much).

Then it may be I have to move.

Carlisle is a growing town but not fast enough, most people here can expect to get jobs either in shops, manufacturing, farming or small business.

Its not a place where there are blue chip companies on every street corner in the city centre.

I think the average earning is less than 20k.

17. BosonMichael

If you asked about salary, discuss salary. If you are NOT asked about salary, don't bring it up until they do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. BosonMichael

If you make anywhere close to 200K USD, let me know if there are any positions available. 8)

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Always for the right candidate ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  20. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Good answer! :peace