How much lab work ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Parky, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Parky

Parky New Member

is it neccesary to do all the practice exercises in the self paced training kit ?

i've noticed some of the exercises require a server 2008 machine, which i dont have at present.

Am i going to pick up enough understanding to pass if i skip these exercises ?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You can download the trial of 2008 from the Microsoft website and then virtualise it (VMware Player).

As far as having to do the labs, it really depends on what level you're at, for example would I need to do all of the practice exams? probably not... but that's because I have been using the OS for a while (although not using EVERY aspect of it so there would be things I am rusty on).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

IMHO Yes you should have 2008 in a lab. You will get a better feel for the product and would be more likely to pass your exams in it again all just IMHO. I don't think you can fully understand what a book or CBT is telling you until you've messed with and even broken the product in a lab environment.

As Simon pointed out however, if you have 2008 in your workplace, and you administer it, you're less likely to need a lab. I'd still argue however that unless your employer has a sandpit type setup, some of the tasks you'll need to master to pass the exam, you simply wouldn't do a lot of the time in work until something breaks. I'm yet to do an AD Restore for instance in my current job.

My 2 cents and just what works for me, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

To echo the thread a little here, I did the labs.
    If you've got 2GB of RAM or more, you shouldn't have a problem downloading VMware Player (it's free) and getting the trial version of Server 2008 R2 from Microsoft. The great thing about a VM testbed is you can be daring and muck about as much as you like without affecting anyone. And when it comes to questions where you don't KNOW the answer, if you've mucked about quite a lot, you'll often be able to run through it in your head and get a good feel for which answer's most likely.

There's also a Server 8 beta iso somewhere on the MS site.
    (I'm yet to be won over to the Metro in Windows 8, but Server 8 actually looks quite promising.)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?