How much do IT employers care about GCSE grades?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Obviously this is in general, but I'm wondering if they really care as I was thinking about retaking mine as I got a D in Maths and a C grade in English Language, but a D in literature. I can't say its ever caused me any problems as on my CV "I just put achieved gades A-C in the following GCSEs:" but I'm wondering whether IT employers will want to see hard copies etc.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Entirely context dependant.

If you're 16-18 probably quite a bit.

I took my GCSE's and A-levels off my CV, not because I had bad grades, its simply wasted space on CV after 20 years in the industry.

I'd go take a higher Maths or English qualification if you're worried about it.

GCSE's are pretty basic, anyone above the age 20 should be able pass 8-10 GCSE's in about two months of study. Makes me wonder what I did all day at school.

Nobody has ever cared one jot about my GCSE's apart for sixth form entrance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    JK2447 likes this.
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Never had them considered for any job I've applied for.

On the flip side when i now interview people, i'm not particularly interested in GCSE's - but more technical experience.

That said, i do give candidates a test paper of 20 questions which requires sentence replies for some, i can gauge their spelling and grammar from the replies on that.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I completely agree with dmarsh. As a younger person I'd say they matter a lot more. Oldies likes of me, they don't matter at all. I don't put my grades, I'm not even sure they are on my CV anymore but when they were I just said 10 GCSE's A-C I think, something like that I don't recall how many I got now tbh. A'Levels I think can still feature but it just depends on what job you're going for. All I see now is a requirement for a degree, TOGAF etc for my kind of job. When I was an engineer so only a year ago, it was all about having an MCSE and VCP. I don't think anyone cares about those now I've changed jobs

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The older you get, the less important it becomes.

I don't have any scholastic qualifications on my CV these days, just professional ones.

I have seen an ex girlfriend of mine lie about her degree and get called out on it, she actually had to leave the company (this was 6 years after she had finished Uni, she thought telling them that she had a 2.1 when in fact she had a 2.2, once discovered that she had lied she couldn't go back to work.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Echo the comments around as you get older they get less relevant. I work for a company where I wouldn't even get on the grad scheme with my degree grade, but as an experienced hire it didn't matter what I had, or even if I had one. By that time it was more the professional qualifications and experience that mattered.