How much content on 70-290 and 70-291 ??

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Snow-Munki, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Snow-Munki

Snow-Munki Bit Poster

Hi,

Just done my 70-270 and passed :D

About to now dive into 70-290 and then 291.

Noticed that 290 course text ( sybex ) is acutally slightly less than the XP book. And then the 291 book is even less.

Does that mean there is just less to learn / cover or am I like missing something ??

Thanks

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just different concepts. Sometimes, it takes longer to explain the basics than it does the more advanced concepts... but if you don't understand the basics already, then it can take LONGER to study those advanced concepts.

Take a 5th grade math book and a theoretical physics book. Just because the theoretical physics book is thinner doesn't mean it's less complex or that it contains less to learn... nor does it mean that the 5th grade math book contains more to learn because it is thicker. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't be fooled by looking at the objectives and thinking there is less because it doesn't look as much. The 290 covers a really wide range of topics and is a harder exam than the 270.

As for the 291, well it's true that it covers less topics, but the ones it does cover you need to know very very well. Also the concepts are more complex and first hand experience is essential (in my opinion) if you want a good chance of passing. They don't call it the beast for nothing. Well ok they don't call it that, but they did call the 2k version of this exam the beast, so that will do. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Snow-Munki

Snow-Munki Bit Poster

thanks very much guys, make sense.

and how hard can it get !!! better get cracking !

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'd just like to add that I've been studying the 291 on and off for 6 months and im still not comfortable with taking the exam... even though the ones that preceeded it were relatively easy going for me.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Better to take your time and fully understand the material and pass the first time, rather than rush and fail in my opinion. I took my sweet time doing the 290, but actually did the 291 in quite a short period of time but studied intensly during that time (8 weeks). I think the latter method suited me personaly, but it was a lot of pressure and a bit stressful also. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada