How many question on VCP 5 Exam

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by TechTock, May 23, 2012.

1. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I've booked my exam for tomorrow but how many questions are there roughly on the exam and does it have any sim type of questions. Also is the exam like MS exams where you had plenty of time or like CISCO where your struggling for time (or so I've been told).

Reason I ask is it looks like the exam is only 90 minutes which isn't a lot so wanted to better prepare myself if this is going to be a quick fire exam without a lot of time to think about the answers.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

85 questions, the Blueprint is your friend :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Cheers Simon, I have the blueprint but didn't think it had that detail in it. Wow that is a lot of questions for 90 minutes. I just hope they are short questions.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The 90 minutes is more than enough for the 85 questions if you are prepared. Good luck with the exam.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I think I'm just used to MS exams were you can pop out for a cuppa and still have loads of time left over at the end.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes you wont have time for that, time keeping is of the essence, dont dwell on ones you do not know either have an educated stab or mark them for review at the end.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Gingerdave

I tended to do both, in that I made the guess and marked it for review. Then had a pass at them again at the end.

8. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I tend to do that as well just in case i run out of time.

9. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

I really hope you've read through the blueprint objectives thoroughly, be prepared to get tested on all four corners of the page on those objectives...

Have you done the official mock exam? Have you seen the other practice questions that people have on their blogs?

Best of luck :-)

For the reference of others, take a look at the VCP5 tab on my blog, where you'll find my review of the exam, links to some really key items and sites: VMware Training and Certification

Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A nice reciprocal link would look good on your blog Scott, you know in exchange for all the plugs you manage to get in your posts here on CertForums.

Nice blog by the way too. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I ehh :tune flicked through the blueprints. I read the Scott Lowe book and have 3 servers with Openfiler installed on one of them and have flicked through a few white papers that were recommended on the course at QA. I was slightly forced into doing the exam today as the next slot open is August but have worked my backside off for it. Time will tell if I have done enough.

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

how did you get on?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  13. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I ran out of time. Totally gutted as I had about 10 questions I skipped through. Still kicking myself. Scored 290. I totally over analysed too many questions. There was one question that I was convinced 3 of the answers were right but only asked for 2. Think I will read the blueprint and retake ASAP.

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Ahh bad luck, still your not far off. There's nothing wrong with failing an exam in fact it gives you a far better idea on what to study than any other material. Just don't get disheartened have a think about what you need to brush up on and try again. You'll do fine next time.

15. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

I've not posted anything about the other forums I recommend and frequent, so I might just do that :-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You being a VMware employee now and all that ;) (missed you last week).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  17. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Cheers Simon - I do still intend to pop along when I can, I'd only got back from a trip the previous night and had too much work to catch up on!

18. Gingerdave

Sorry to hear that chief. I failed my first attempt with a 260. Its tough but look at it this way: you were -><- that close to passing last time. A few weeks of revision and you will nail it.

Good luck!

19. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Cheers guys for the encouragement. I felt disappointed as I had so many questions to review and 2 minutes left I sort of went white as a sheet as I knew if I passed it would be close. I'm going to go over the blueprint and mock exam and plan to redo the exam in the next 2-3 weeks.

20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The blue print is the all encompassing document, if it's not in there you don't need to worry as it won't be on the exam.