How many hours do you work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Seriously?

I’m sitting here repairing an Exchange server which has gone belly up. Last week it was a comms room move and the week before that it was a network migration (workgroup to SBS). All of this was out of hours work on top of the usual 9-5 stuff. Make that 8 till 5, somebody always phones me on the way to the office.

I dunno if I want to count the amount of hours to be honest, it would be a ‘WTF’ moment! :biggrin

Anybody else stressed out right now? :blink

Also the Exchange server would have been ok if one of the support guys had installed SP2 and the 16GB mailbox store cap would not have kicked in, grrr! :x

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aaaah - the ol' ESEUtil. That takes me back! Watching that little command prompt, praying that it will fix the errors and bring the store back online without a fuss...

Officially, 37 hours a week.

In reality, with the amount I work at home on various bits & pieces, research purely for work and documentation etc, probably closer to 60. Even that's better than most other contracts I've been on - especially for one (ahem) 'memorable' period a few years back where I worked TWO contracts for six months - one night and one day. I regularly used to work sixteen hour days, three days a week, and every saturday & sunday. On the upside, I was pulling in about eight grand a month - on the downside, i looked like a panda and, occasionally would hallucinate whilst i was driving (don't try that at home kids!)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Sparky

The wife did say my eyes look 'weird' just now, hee hee! :biggrin

On the plus side Exchange is back on-line, just need to install SP2 and then open up port 25 on the firewall and stand back! :biggrin

Oh, and the reg hack to go over 16GB! :biggrin

May kick someones head in at the office tomorrow, looks like one of the support guys has taken off *all* the limits on the Exchange server so it was only a matter of time before this happened. :x

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That sounds like a firewall problem I got asked to look at a while back - a second line bod told me about the firewall - "I haven't bothered locking down outbound access - we're protected from the outside world 'cos of our inbound rules. Someone asked for something so I just turned off all the outbound policies and that fixed it". I (quite literally) LOLd.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Sparky

LOL!

A highlight for me today (in my day of complete hell) came about as one network I support has been taken over by another company. Basically the company has been bought out and some in-house IT guys have taken over the network support. Fair enough, can’t win them all.

Anyways one of the IT guys phones me today and asks if he can use the DC and Exchange server in the ‘new’ domain as member servers . Looks like they are putting in a child domain as part of their corporate infrastructure and using the original servers as print servers or something like that. I said there was no problem with that and told him where the restore disks where so he could flatten the servers and then he could do whatever he wanted with them.

A few hours later the two servers disappear from the monitoring system we have so it looks like they have been taken offline and wiped.

10 minutes later I get a phone call and it was the random IT guy I was talking to asking why the domain administrator password I gave him doesn’t work as he can’t log onto any of the PCs.

I paused and said. “Have you taken the DC offline?” He replied ‘ yes’ as it was getting formatted. I paused again and said “So you are trying to log onto the domain with no domain controller?” In a panic he said he would phone me back and hung up!

I had just finished telling one of the guys in the office what had happened when he calls back asking for all of local admin passwords for 50 odd PCs!

Just to help the guy out I remembered what the original domain admin password was (this was going back 2 years) and the profile was still cached on some of the PCs when we installed the network.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Es mi amigo, ESE! Wassup, ese? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Anywhere between 36 and 40 (billable) hours at work. Beyond that, it just depends on what sort of freelance projects I'm doing at home. None right at the moment, but that's because I have a ton of relative visiting and scheduled my "home jobs" around them being here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Officially 40 hours a week, but I can not work on the exam center computers while there are takers, so that work has to be done during weekends. It will be close to 50.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

8am to 6pm with half hour lunch at 1pm so thats a 47.5 hours per week. To make matters worse I have to work every other saturday (4hours)

the motor trade sucks!:x

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I work 40 hours a week, but then I often work overtime at night and some saturdays when needed, get paid time and a half for it thou, so dont mind too much!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

well my salary is based on 37.5 hours week...
    so looks like my working week should finish just after luchtime today :)
    (thank you Exchange 2007!!)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  12. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

ups sorry not today - tomorrow :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

LOL - I resemble that remark...:biggrin

Yep at least 45 hours per week as I am the sole IT amigo.

When something b0rks I have been know to work 65+ hours per week...:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It depends on demands.

My contract is 40 hours a week.

If I am on call for the week, I am expected to answer calls up until midnight.

We have a lot of work on at the moment, and I have included some weekend work as well. But my manager tries to let us all have a 'rest' as it were. If I were the solo IT guy, it would be hell and damnation.

The most hours I have ever worked in a week was 82, back when I did manual labour and forklift driving.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I my contract is for 36 hours per week I do this in 3 days as I work 3 12 hour night shifts if any overtime is required I do it as long as I get Double time, if I was doing the job I want in IT then I wouldnt mind doing overtime aslong as I was getting a decent pay packet.

which Im not at the moment:(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?