How Long to Complete A+ OS Exam?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Hey everyone I passed my A+ 220 - 302 hardware exam and now I want to finish my A+ certificaion. How long do you think it will take to prepare for the Operating Systems exam.
    My Mike Meyers book gives me five chapters to read.
    Does anyone have any good ideas. I need to finish this exam as soon as possible. Any suggestions.
    :biggrin

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Well done on the result,n1 8)

Take as long as you need on the OS studies I'd say.There are about 5 chapters in the Meyers book,but there is a myriad of information to digest in the process.Try and get your hands on a second pc and dual boot it.Apparently the A+ OS exam will ask you to define certain strings to reach various parts and utilities in a number of different operating systems and while this may require no second thought with a mouse to guide you,try it with nothing more than pen and paper!!

Know your differences in the operating systems,know how system files work and interact with each other,know how to navigate with keyboard commands,learn the command prompt utilities thoroughly.Thats a sample of what you'll be tested on,so take your time studying,get hands-on experience with other operating systems if possible and take the exam when you feel ready.Remember,it's not a race!!!! :study

Certifications: A+ Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i think if you know your OS (win xp and win 98) then learning a little dos isnt too difficult so not too long or not as long as Hardware. It all depends on how much time you have to study!

Good Luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The Meyers book has a section at the front that attempts to indicate how many hours study is required. While noone would expect it to be super-accuarate it wasn't far off for me!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

I have a spare PC and I'm looking at doing the A+, what systems would you recomend I dual boot? It's currently running debian. :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Still figuring this out :D
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd recomend Win98SE and XP.

Win2k is fairly like XP, and Win95 is similar to 98SE. ME is just weird, mostly like 98 but with some extras only found on XP.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

I've had XP for a while now, I'll stick 98 in a VMachine or something ;)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Still figuring this out :D
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I got myslef an old pc and dual booted 98SE with W2kPro,with XP Pro running on my main machine I have most of the bases covered and the old PC gives me a chance to play with other operating systems (outside of studying but still in a learning curve).

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Harry - I like the way you've given your opinon on ME, wish i used that in my interview! :biggrin