How long have people stayed in thier first I.T job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Jul 8, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

How long have people stayed in their first I.T job? - The title says it all!

The reason why I ask is I will soon have a years experience (with some training) and my manager says that I must stay 18 - 24 months in my first and current entry level job -> to grasp all the skills / concepts.

I have been offered 1 contract (that i rejected) and 2 interviews so far (1 flopped, 1 ongoing) but were unsuitable for me currently due to commute, salarly factors etc...

So what do you guys think?

P.S. I have did post a thread similar to this one a few months back... but not with this scenario.

Fat P :)

2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Only you can be the judge of that, everything picks up things differently - Some are fast learners some aren't. It would seem your manager just wants to keep you for that time. Do what you feel is best. Just ask yourself the question "Am i learning anymore new?" if not... move on maybe... or ask for promotion.

I lasted a year & 4 months in my first role - i personally felt after 8 months i wasn't learning anymore and no positions to move upwards were around. Now been contracting since October 2007 (8 months?) and moving onto my next role very soon... (waiting for HR to sort out)

It just depends on where you want to go and want you want to achieve!

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would say it depends on your current situation. For example; if the current IT work you're doing is easy then try looking for something more advanced so that you keep on learning new stuff and eventually get to where ever you want to be. If your employer is promising a promotion then you could stick it out unless you are unsatisfied with your post.

You mentioned you were offered contracts on the side, that's a great way to gain experience. In reality there really is no how long an employee should stay at their position, it's more of how comfortable are you and what are you willing to do to get ahead.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just under two years for me :)

IMO, that's wrong. You may grasp the skills and concepts for that particular job, but you don't grasp all skills and concepts in IT within 2 years. I've been in IT alot longer than that and I'm still learning. To tell you the truth anyone that say's that they've got all the skills, ain't telling the truth...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nobody really knows *all* the skills and concepts to do a job, there will be always be something new but over time sometimes this can dry up and then its time to move onto the next job.

I guess it’s up to you, if you feel you have got everything you can get out of the job then its time to move on.

If it helps I stayed for 9 months in my first full time IT job....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've been in the same job now for 5/6 years. That's in IT. Before that I was the Asst Manager of a leisure centre, was there for 18 years.

Not the type to chop and change jobs, esp with a family etc, however, I enjoy my job very much and see no reason to move. The only drawback is the 30 mile drive each way :(

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I was in my first IT job for about 18 months. The decision to move on was really determined by me getting a better job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Two years for me - moved on four months after being made permanent because the drop in salary from contracting to perm sucked. Never did desktop/first line support, I started out as a network/server admin so my job was reasonably interesting from the git-go. If I'd had to do first line I honestly don't think i would have lasted more than six months.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

tbh you're screwed if you do and you're screwed if you don't. i only stay in jobs for a year as i'm a quick learner and get bored as my previous jobs wouldnt offer anything challenging for me to do. the problem is employers dont look at this as a good thing as they want long term commitment. so either you stay at one job reducing your experience or change jobs and get told you have no long term job commitment.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

First employer: 7 years. Would have been longer, but the company went bankrupt.
    Second employer: 8 years.
    Current employer: 4 years now and still going strong.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Proof that you dont need to job hop to get anywhere.

Ive worked as a contractor for about 4 years now (and was self employed for three years before that) but im looking at permanent now, however i know and appreciate the benefits of working in different companies has given me (ive seen things done the right and wrong way) and recite those in interviews in a way that will benefit the company im interviewing for.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

4 years. First two years were part-time while I was recovering from health issues (I was on long-term disability when I got nagged into taking the position).

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Only six months. But I sorta fell into it: one of the customers I supported asked me to work for them full-time for a $10,000 increase in salary. I was only making $25K at the time... how could I turn them down? They got the blessing from my employer, and they hired me up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

cool.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well i was already in an IT job, i was an office equipment service manager supporting networked faxes and photocopiers/digital colour copiers etc. then our company went computerised for everything and being the most computer savvy person there, i naturally got stuck into the network from the get go. I started off buying most of the hardware and configuring it to run on our Novel network. obviously i was the help desk to all the users too, as time went by, i got more and more involved in the databases, servers and NT intranet and web site etc. In the end, after 7 years, i was the IT manager, as well as fleet manager and service manager.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm still in my first IT job, still officially 'first line' after 18 months, and I see no reason to change yet.

Why?

I think I'm paid way over the odds for what a 'first line' bod should do, but I do way above and beyond what your typical first line bod will ever do. The firm I am with is progressive and invests in its people and IT; my boss is fair and encourages you to develop and learn.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA