How long for the CompTIA A+ self study

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sambangert, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

I've decided to chose to do a compTIA A+ self study. What would be a good timescale to set, how long has it taken other people who have done it self study???

What sort of methods did you use, obviously there are the books and practice exams but what would be a good way actually learn it and take it all in. Is there any other guides i could use or workbooks.

thanks

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Use the two books I mentioned in your first thread study all the concepts and use the practice exams you get with the Mike Meyers book once you feel you are ready for them.

The A+ will take as long as you need to take to understand everything.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Repeated for truth...
    There's no right amount of time to study. Review the material until you know it.
    That's the beauty of self-study, of course that's the downfall for many too. :rolleyes:
    With the right attitude and discipline you'll be fine.

Good luck

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I didn't study. I just went in and took the exam. So that's how long it should take you.

I say this to illustrate my point: you shouldn't go by how long it takes other people to study for the A+. Everyone is different. Some people learn quickly, and some people learn slowly. Some people require a lot of hands-on experience, and some people can pick it up just by reading a book. Some people studying for the A+ have never seen the inside of a computer, and some people have built their own computers from scratch their entire lives. Some people have many responsibilities (school, spouse, kids, job), and some people have no responsibilities at all. Some people can stay focused on studying for hours on end, and some people need to study in small chunks.

So it could take you less than 10 minutes... and it could take you more than a year. I have met fine people in this very forum who are at each end of the spectrum.

How long should you take to study for the A+ exams? You should study until you have a complete understanding of the concepts. No more... no less. Thus... if I were to suggest how many days/weeks/months YOU should take to study, I would be doing you a disservice.

Best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
    thunder22 likes this.
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

How long is a piece of string?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. iovan iorgovan

iovan iorgovan New Member

Let's put it differently, how long did it took you guys and what was you IT knowledge before starting the course?

7. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

a few years in IT, and took me 2 months to do the self study for both exams including finishing the exams at the end.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  8. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

No IT job experience when I started, just an interest for it. Took me around 3 months juggling study around work/family.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It completely depends on your experience and ability. I have booked exams on a whim before, no actual study process and I have gone in and passed the exam.

If I wanted to take the A+ exam I would guess it would probably take me all of about a day to look at the objectives, book up the exam and refresh anything that I felt I needed to look up, the reason for this is that I have about 15 years commercial experience but don't do the basic stuff too much these days. Mileage will obviously vary between people based on their ability, experience and capabilities. I know people who have failed exams that I have taken and found easy so again it all comes down to your understanding.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. iovan iorgovan

iovan iorgovan New Member

Thanks guys for your responses. At least we have rough idea on what to expect.
    I went last night though the A+ 2012 objectives and I used a couple of hours only for this, so going though the whole matter fast is no easy task.
    I'm the kind of guy who reads materials even if he already knows the matter involved, just in case there is something he missed. I guess I'll to leave apart what I already know and read only what I don't if I want to go through the whole A+ in 30 days.

For the guys who took the exam, what is the procedure to get examined and how much does it cost?

11. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Iovan,

I mean this with the best interests for yourself, in that you are best off looking on the comptia website to check out where your local test centre is, and to download the objectives (although I believe you have already done this), there is also a mock test you can take for free on the comptia website to highlight your weak areas that you should focus on. I also think that if you want to get it done within 30 days then you need to crack on with it as I have worked with people in the past that have claimed to be starting studying but never have and have just kept on asking questions as if the question/answers in a discussion would be enough to pass an exam. Everyone that has sat the exam will be able to tell you how long it took and what materials they used, however we cannot give you the answers to the questions for you to pass.

I used Professor Messer, and I booked my exams through my local test centre in Leicestershire.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  12. vaibhav0035

vaibhav0035 New Member

It took me 4 days to pass, Best way to study is start it with question samples or practice test try to do it with common sense and after that study the solutions . For gaining confidence download android A+ apps and get use to test questions and test environment. You do not need labs to do practicals you can play with laptop and printers to understand concepts and protocols. Just chill and prepare for it as fast as you can .