How long do I bide my time?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So got a new job which I’ve been doing for a month now. Tbh it isn’t for me, I basically support bespoke software and do abit of linux admin etc.. pretty boring stuff regardless of how much my manager tries to make it sound better than it is, I find it hard to see how it can be interesting and pretty much the entire team agrees.

Anyway the plan is to move to a new department within the company as I am pretty much done with the support side of the IT world, done it for 4 years and its not something I want to do forever, tbh I knew when I took this job it was a gateway into the company so I could change careers. The big question I have is how long do you think I should wait before going public and trying to switch departments? I was thinking 3-4 months 5 at a push.. either way I will not be staying for a year if the department move doesn’t pan out, worst case scenario I stack shelves in Tesco, as I no longer feel the excitement of troubleshooting software/hardware.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I think you dont go public but keep an eye out for something.

Something will turn up. I am sort of in your situation, however, i am finding the role challenging and although its not a support role, I do take support calls from time to time. Plus the money is decent as well ha ha

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Bit of a risk taking a job in the hope you will get transferred. What ideally are you wanting to do?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Although I'm technically still in IT support, I love desktop support and I'm not in a rush to progress but if an opportunity came I will probably apply for it. I've been here for a year now. Time has gone quick!

5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think if you are respectful it could be OK to move after a few months but it could Work against you eg make a hiring manger wonder if you would do it again

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is there high turnover of staff in the current team?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs