How is this possible?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Aug 15, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

You all remember my sound card going funny on me? well it did it again and this time stopped working altogether. So I decided to get in touch with Creative and inform them of this. They were nice enough to ask me to send the faulty item back as its still in warranty (including proof of purchase). So just waiting on their feedback on if they will send a replacement.

However, the item itself was bought on ebuyer. And, unless I forgot about this, I got an email from them saying they set up an RMA for the faulty item too. Weird I thought, but nice nonetheless. So I thought well, I've already sent the faulty card to Creative. However, I had a brainwave (doesnt happen very often). I remember this time last year, when the X-Fi's were just being released, I had bought one similar to the one I had off ebay for £20. Needless to say it was a faulty one anyway, so I wasnt bothered about the price tag.
    I gave it a try in my machine and yeah it didnt work.

Anyway back to that brainwave. I decided to rummage thru my box of tricks and found said faulty card from last year. I thought to myself, how about I send this one back to ebuyer and see if they will send me a replacement under warranty? Well guess what? They did and the card will be arriving tomorrow as I just got confirmation on the phone as I had to ring them to get my delivery address changed to my new home address. :biggrin I knew hanging on to that card will come in handy one day :biggrin and they say we should dispose of unwanted goods...pah!!

So, now lets see if Creative can be as nice and send me a replacement, which means two new cards for my current machine and for my new machine I am getting my parts for to build.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I believe the correct term for this stroke of good fortune is...

Fraud

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:rolleyes: :blink :eek: :( well, ok I hear ya, but it was a tried and tested kinda thing...the idea just popped into me head and I didnt think of anything else that would arise. guess im just lucky eh...:unsure:

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Lay off, Pheo - you can't have too many ill-gained sound cards in one PC now, can you ? :dry

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I just hope its not your mobo, seems kinda strange that 2 cards have failed on the same board mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah it does sound strange.

Hows your PSU?

Heres one for ya my mates pc has had two physics cards die on him he sent the pc to a repair shop and apparently the expansion slots had had too much voltage supplied to them and had burnt out along with the cards but the rest of the mobo is fine.

I am not sure how something like this could happen, maybe you want to look into that as a possible reason

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

PHYSICS cards??? who makes them, Einstein Inc. ???:biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  8. greenbrucelee

Yeah :D

they cost sh** loads there supposed to help with graphics n stuff. I think my mate paid about £800 quid for his SLi system

9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

You mean there REALLY IS such a thing, I thought your mind may have been somewhere else when you were typing and you meant to say GRAPHICS card or something!!! :oops:

10. greenbrucelee

No they work in conjunction with the graphics card to improve the physics engine, i.e more realistic body movements n stuff.

I dont see the point really. I think games already look good

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm more into psychic cards, they can sense when something is going to happen, good or bad :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. greenbrucelee

I have to phsycic in my job I am think about charging internal and external customer £1.50 a minute for a phone call :D

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ok guys back to reality...lol...there is nothing wrong with my motherboard at all...as I said the very first card I bought last year indicated it was faulty on ebay before I bought it...and then when I bought my new one it was working for 5mths til it went dead...I am back to using my old Audigy LS and thats working with no problem at all (and its over 3yrs old!!)...so no my motherboard and PSU are both working fine :biggrin

In any case, these X-Fi cards have been causing other people problems too...