How in demand is N+?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by drbxgold, Jul 4, 2013.

1. drbxgold

drbxgold New Member

I've heard some say it isn't worth much and you're better off going for an MCSE, but N+ has been around for many years and people still seem to take it...

Pros? Cons?

Thanks

Certifications: Microsoft 70-680, Cisco: IT Essentials PC Hardware and Software, Cisco Exploration: Network Fundamentals, Cisco Exploration: LAN Switching and Wireless
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The certification is not in demand much, its because that's an entry level certification. It's a good certification to have when you're starting out, just like the A+ or an MCTS in Windows 7. The MCSE is a more advanced cert and thus has a higher weight.

What I recommend is that if you're just starting out in IT, Network+ is a good cert to have, there is no reason for you to tackle an advanced cert if you don't have experience, it's actually what I did when I started out. I first got the A+, Network+, and MCDST, it really helped me out a lot when searching for a job. Afterwards, when I started getting more experience, I started doing the more complicated certs which with the experience goes well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. drbxgold

drbxgold New Member

Thanks a lot. Yeah I'm new to the industry, I just graduated from university and am looking for my first real job in IT. I'd love to take the MCDST but I just don't have enough practical experience. I did some N+ practice exams and I did pretty well so I think I'll take that in about 6 months or so.

Certifications: Microsoft 70-680, Cisco: IT Essentials PC Hardware and Software, Cisco Exploration: Network Fundamentals, Cisco Exploration: LAN Switching and Wireless
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You're welcome!

In that case, I'd stick with the entry level certs like Network+, it's a good cert to do, gives you a good understanding of networking concepts and its not tied to one vendor like Cisco or Juniper to name a few.

There's also the MCSA: Windows 8 which is made up of two Windows 8 exams, also worth to take a look if you're interested.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Nicko

Nicko New Member

Studying and passing for the network+ course is what gave me the most knowledge about networking. Don't underestimate it. You will learn crucial basics.

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Unfortunately, in my experience agencies and companies dont even know about ComTIA certification and dont hold them in high regard. Despite them being mandatory by HP, Dell, IBM and other mainstream vendor's service techs. This for the UK. But Network+ and A+ are the best starting points.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

If you have this exam already passed, then you are half-way to MCSA: Windows 7. If you take the 685 or 686 (depending if you'd rather lean towards 'support' or 'administration', you'll have a good level MS cert...

Have you thought of that being of use to you?

This cert was XP-based (with some integration to Server 2003 & also Office 2003 stuff) and was retired in 2011. The MCSA: Windows 7 (70-680 + 685) route is the closest that MS now offer - so might be right up your street...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...