How I prepared for the CIW exams

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by nellyp123, Sep 17, 2008.

1. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

As prompted by Zimbo, this is a detailed review on how i prepared for and passed both the CIW foundations and CIW web designer exams.

The first thing i must point out is that i took the self-study route, not the training provider route!! But i am sure the methods and books i used for studying will still be a good addition for anyone getting started with the CIW training.

For those who are reading this who haven't decided which route to take?.....then i would highly suggest taking the self-study path. Even though this is a bit debatable, for me it's alot cheaper and adds to your enthusiasm and passion when learning all this stuff!!
    And there's no better feeling when you do finally pass your exam knowing that you achieved it all by yourself!!

Okay...so....i am assuming you have taken the self-study route? Next your gonna need books and training videos? First place to look for these is on ebay! There you might even find some up-to-date course material? which fortunately i did.
    Also on ebay i found a DVDrom from a company called learnkey which was all about the foundations exam, so do a search on CIW and see what you find. I just did and there is plenty to get you started, but be careful not to buy anything before 2004 as these will be the version 4, you need version 5!

THE FOUNDATION EXAM IDO 510

The foundation exam is alot about networking, the history of the web, the development of the web and the business side of things. If you have seen the exam guide from on their web site www.ciwcertified.com then you would have seen that there is three parts.

1:Internet Business Foundations
    2:Site Development Foundations
    3:Networking Technology Foundations

Networking is more in-depth but the rest is just basic stuff. So i would suggest learning more of the networking side of things LAST! That way it is still fresh in your mind when you finally go in for the exam. Unfortunately i don't know a decent book on Networking, but i am sure there are plenty to choose from on www.amazon.co.uk
    What i did was give myself a month to learn each section and then when i was ready (three months later) i turned up at the exam center an hour early and went through each part again making sure networking was last, as this was what i thought was the hardest to learn.

While you are on www.amazon.co.uk you might want to grab yourself a copy of " CSS The missing Manual" ISBN: 9780596526870
    This book will prepare you for the web development part as it does focus a little on xhtml as well, which will be more then enough for what you need to know. Also look on www.w3schools.com here you will find plenty of tutorials on web design and networking, i used this site quite a bit!

WEB DESIGNER IDO 520

Now your gonna need to learn about flash, dreamweaver and possibly fireworks. The best place to look here is www.lynda.com
    I still use this site and it's only £13 ($25) a month.
    Don't dwell to much on things like flash and fireworks though, i seemed to get more questions on dreamweaver in a scenario way, so learning how to use it will be quite important.

I WILL ADD MORE TO THIS LATER ON !!!!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  2. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Glad you passed your test, but if you learnet each section in a month....well your a better man than me mate..Woh!

Anyway i think you know im doing same/similar to wHAT You have done.When you first sstarted talking about self study, i thought you still meant through training provider like me, but alas you just meant, using initiative blah blah, which is good, but as i said, and i pay a fee every month but get all the materials needed, firework later on and other interesting stuff.

WIP: Hoping to gain
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done on the pass and thank you for providing feedback for other members to use :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I am no better than you just because i passed my first exam within three months. It might be because i was taking my study books to work with me and using every spare minute i had to study. And the point about using my initiative?....well.......i don't see the point in paying £5000 for something that you can do for practically free! BUT that's your initiative and i ain't slagging anyone off or putting anyone down. It's just something that i was determined to do off my own back!

But i did struggle!, i only just passed my exams by the skin of me teeth, so if i was to do it all again then i might add another week or two to each section???

But it is good that you are getting all the materials you need, especially now when even the self study material is so expensive!

Feel free to ask if you get stuck on anything?

6. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Hello, i may just take you up on that, thanks.I do have slight problems gettin me head round databases, just the general demeanour of em!

But as a whole, im ok, though i keep thinking i may of overlooked something.

There are TMAs at the end of lessons, aswell as case studies etc, so these must keep a check on your progress, see that you are acctually learning.Plus i have a strategical way of studying.

Wont go into that, but i feel ok about it all, but im going the whole hog, not just the foundations, im going all the way.

Im doing the CIW Web design managers course.The home study route, can be hard sometimes, but once you get over an hurdle, your ok.

Plus its not that expensive, maybe a little...but i pay a monthly fee anyhow!

Anyway, thats that...You did mention something about there being a lack of people to do what we eventually want to do, im not limiting myself by the way, but im surprised at that statistic.:eek:

7. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Hello Micky

I don't quite understand what you mean here? I have said that there is a lack of people who know and have heard of CIW. If that's what you mean????

8. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Helo Nelly. once again!

Where are you going from here with your cert, are you gong to kep learning or what.

Im thinking Nelly, if you want you couls have my IM ad, could be of help..

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Mickey, any chance you can clarify or elaborate on this ?

From my experience the Web development space is saturated. There may be a shortage of really good people, just like many other parts of IT, but theres a hell of a lot of average people out there already doing the job.

The dot.com bubble pulled in lots of people into the industry regardless of talent, experience, previous training, many of these people are still around. Also many business people can understand the Web on a high level so they feel they are also qualified, extrapolate this to a few more professions and you get my drift.

Many people see advertiding spend on the internet going down, half the industry is advertising driven so this could have a big impact if it happens.

10. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Many people shouldnt be allowed near a computer...it was like when the car got invented..good idea at first,,,then we get Boy riders on the road...and other insignificants!

But, for me...i've always been interested in computers, back to going to the old computer shows at Earls court with me mate, who followed his passion early on, but i've taken longer deciding on my route....

I take what i do.....Very seriously....always had the knack with computers....just wished i'd of acted on it earler...even before the .com bubble was created, in england anyhow!

As far as anything else....Urrr....Don't know sorry mate!

11. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Sorry Nelly, i got to sort my typing out...or is it CertForums...fault.

12. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I haven't stopped learning and i probably wont either. I love learning, especially about web/graphic design. And whether we like it or not.....this is a ever-changing industry and keeping up with new technology is a must. But i ain't taking my certs seriously anymore! I mean....... i wont rely on them to get me work and i won't be taking anymore this year. My ambition is to become proficient enough in web design to teach, weather it's flash and Actionscript, Photoshop or just (x)html/css.(which i must say is getting close)

Mate!.......if you want to get noticed in web design?, don't rely on the certs. A well designed and presented portfolio is ten times more effective then certs. Treat your certs as a personal goal and a way of learning!

P.S I corrected your typo's for you!! :biggrin

13. chetan.crasta

chetan.crasta Bit Poster

Congrats, Nelly.
    I'm taking the self-study route to the CIW cert too. I have bought a few books on networking, web design etc. However, I find the list of topics on the CIW site to be lacking in detail. For example, could you tell us what kind of questions were asked in Internet Business Foundations?

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  14. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

The questions you will probably get with Internet Business Foundations are about e-commerce. Try and learn things like SSL ( secure sockets layers) and payment gateways. Also the questions i got where like a scenario style questions. Removed confidential content I can't really remember much more then that but if you are studying from the official CIW material, then you should have it all there?

All the best

Neil

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Come on, Nelly... exam confidentiality for the win...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I can't be asked anymore!

C ya!

17. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Hiya nelly..and all others!

Ok i've designated a day for me to learn adobe tools...first to start with is, Flash!

I don't have dreamweaver, i can get it..but i do have seamonkey.I understand that principally, i need to learn all things Adobe...and i will eventually become a Web designer..:eek: