How Does DISM /add-driver work

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by ScoobyDoo, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hello again everybody,

I am studying for 70-680 & am playing with the DISM command. To add a driver I use the DISM /add-driver switch & point it to a folder containing an inf file. Can someone explain how this works? The inf file contains a set of pointers to the actual driver files when they are installed in the pc. Where in the image must I place these driver files to make sure they are referenced by the inf file.

Hope this makes sense.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

The command will slipstream the drivers into the source to where the other inbuilt drivers are so when windows searches the its driver store it will be there to use. don't forget to commit the changes when you unmount.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I suppose the simplest answer is: You don't place the driver files anywhere, the DISM /add-driver command does it for you.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Thanks for that. I will continue reading through my trainng book + its errata ;-)

Certifications: <<See Below>>