How do you Study?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

In a bit of a dilemma.
    Having a bit of a nightmare on exams the last year or so and I really need to look at my stratergy as it clearly doesnt work!
    • How do you study?
    • Do you make extensive notes?
    • Do you use Videos and Books?
    Thanks

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

My process goes like this:

• Copy and paste all of the exam objectives into word.
    • Read through the exam guide and make notes applicable to the exam objectives. If labbing is involved, lab out every command mentioned in a simplistic sort of 'oh so that's how it works' sort of way.
    • If there are objectives that haven't been covered by the guide I will find other sources (technet for MS. Cisco.com for cisco etc), fill them out and lab if required.
    • Do practice exams - I usually go through every question on boson/measureUP etc.
    • Read back through my notes.
    • Do more complex labbing (if required - Microsoft exams require a lot of labbing, Cisco not so much, CompTIA - virtually none.)
    • Go through the practice questions again, Read through the notes again. I might make a condensed version of the notes at this point. Something to take notice of - In most exam guides IMPORTANT exam stuff is generally segregated from the rest of the text. For instance - The Darril Gibson book for Sec+ has sections starting with 'Remember this -'
    • Have a last look through the condensed notes the evening before the exam
    • Exam day - Let myself chill. No last minute cramming.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Sparky and Jaron78 like this.
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster

Thank you @Pseudonym

had a few sh!te results lately the last 12 months or so!

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Tell me about it man. I failed one of My MS exams 4 times.. and failed several others. It's all experience though! Those failures will help shape your approach to exams. Just keep going, you'll find a winning formula eventually.

Not to mention, with IT, the more knowledge you have in one area tends to help in other areas. I'm finding exams easier as I go along cause there's so much crossover.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im not a fan of writing long notes, I hate note taking tbh.. I have started using onenote which I use to jot down brief notes or draw diagrams to explain a process. I prefer videos to books I find I learn better when I visuslly see whats being explained.. I have to take the A+ (work making me) so Ive just been watching the videos whilst having onenote up and labbing at the sametime.

6. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

I look at the blueprints and go through what's needed to pass the exam, worked really well with the VCAP.

In the past when I was still doing the Windows exams I failed one of my 2003 exams 4 times, I hated that exam, no matter how I prepped for it didn't seem to work (we are talking 14 years ago now) but since exam blueprints my study has been much better.

Now I just need to be able to learn my Anatomy and Physiology material as well as I study my IT material :(

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).