How do you like your steak cooked?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I like mine cooked to medium, if feeling adventurous I may go medium rare.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Like you I like mine medium to medium rare, thing is I only like fillet steak tho, I don't like sirloin or ribeye. I also had a wagyu steak once, I was really disappointed as it was so tough :(

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

How come? I can't even tell the difference between sirlon and ribeye.. but then again I am a new steak eater. Never had fillet but thats a good idea for my next shopping list.

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Medium. I chuckled at this thread, I don't know why it just seemed so random ha ha Although all of my threads are probably really random now I come to think of it :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Love the randomness. Medium rare for me, there has to be a slight red tint to the juices for that perfect taste. Depends who's cooking it too as medium rare in others parts or Europe is not the same as a UK medium rare.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I'm also a med-rare Steak eater. I used to work in a steak house as a chef so spent many a year cooking Rump and Sirloin. We used to do a massive 20oz Rump! Lovely!

Fillet is by far the best though, as you would expect I suppose but I find fillet much harder to get right when cooking, as it tends to be quite thick, so difficult to judge. lol.

Best Fillet I ever had was on a beach front restaurant in Es Cana, Ibiza, was like heaven in my mouth!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well rumour has it that ribeye is supposed to be the best tasting steak, all to do with the fat (a decent marbled ribeye should cook up lovely and moist if done well) and a sirloin is all about the edge of fat on the steak, again the fat is all about the taste and texture of the finished steak.

For me the fillet is by far the smoothest out there, cooked properly and left to stand the steak just melts.

Watch a couple of youtube videos on cooking the right steak and you get to see what a decent fillet looks like, I love the red juices coming out of the steak when you cut in to it.

One piece of advice, always let the steak stand for the same amount of time as you cook it, it does actually make a difference.

Also a decent grass fed steak compared to a grain fed steak is amazing but obviously there is a price difference to be paid for grass fed meat (I spent time living the paleo lifestyle and loved it but it is costly).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Coupe2T likes this.
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I love mine soft. So rare is usually what I get. Blue isn't bad either, but one needs to really trust the restaurant or butcher has provided you some good meat void of possible bacteria (I also enjoy Steak Tartare now and then).

Filet Mignon is my preferred, but I'm not overly picky. The Filet's of course are always much more expensive for a smaller steak, so one needs on occasion to make a sound choice when getting the wallet out.

I've had some very exceptional steaks, with probably the best being a (very expensive) Matsusaka steak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsusaka_beef

The steak was like butter, the knife simply sank into it :)

Kobe's probably second best, but some restaurants tend to over garnish it. I think a little salt is usually all it needs, and tenderly cooked to keep it cool in the middle.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Next time I have steak (which will be this week) Im going to go for rare

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Medium rare for me!! :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Medium rare.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Crucified! Burnttoacrispy! So dead its been cremated! Or in other words very well done. I like my cows dead and staying dead......

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,