How do you keep the excitement for learning?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by NorthernSilver, Nov 17, 2011.

1. NorthernSilver

NorthernSilver New Member

I'm struggling to keep my excitement levels up for the 70-680 exam. Any members got any tips or advice.:blink

WIP: A+
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

How are you going about your study?
    What materials are you currently using?

I'd bore myself to death if I just had the MS Press book to read, so I also use Sybex and a video range of some sort (Trainsignal this time but I have also used CBT Nuggets in the past...)

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I always bear in mind the Increased earning potential and knowing more than the next person to keep the motivation oh and plus networking is fun.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    danielno8 likes this.
  4. mdavies

mdavies Bit Poster

have to admit - it's the money :p that comes along with a better position. also, i would rather learn the answer myself from studying than ask someone who probably doesn't know or will only know partial information or guess - there's nothing worse than that - learning from someone who doesn't know the real answers... so i guess that fear motivates me to study as well.
    money & fear, who knew! :cry:

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Easy
    I am excited by LEARNING
    not studying, not preparing for an exam
    if the books are a bit drab and dry, try reading white papers, case studies, RFCs, read about how stuff works, why it works that way, why it was designed to work that way, deploy it, throw it together in a lab, see it in action
    then re-read the boring 'study' guide, realize that 90% stuff is ingrained in your brain already and pass with flying colours
    trying to LEARN from a STUDY guide just does not work for most people
    Study guys are for studying, not for learning

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
    Arroryn, JonnyMX and Simonvm like this.
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with Phoenix, I study to learn new things - excited to start the next new thing.
    Practice and labbing are the best ways I find, especially if you can't get access to actual work with that you are currently studying.

Try, try and try again. Think of new ways to make it more complicated because someone in the real world will probably have thought of something even more complex!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Having an interest in the subject really helps. I also think rewarding yourself for achieving your goals is good and it's also important is to take breaks between learning otherwise you burn yourself out easily. I find video training easier to keep the momentum up and then reading a good book afterwards.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  8. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

6 months study got me a 9k pay rise. I don't mind studying.

Having said that; learning as opposed to studying as the guys above mentioned has left me much more confident and at home with IT and anything technical. The 70-680 is a short cert compared to a lot out there.

Just jump on professor messer, other than that make some virtual machines and start screwing around with them, the fact we can virtualise it all really makes it a doddle compared to 10 years ago.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I completely agree with this - I made a baseline Server 2003 and XP vm, and but never used them directly, always created a "linked clone" to cut down on disc space used and kept a copy of NewSID on the desktop to change the name and create a new SID in seconds - could roll out from nothing to 3 servers and 2 workstations in the space of 15 mins!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

10 Years ago I was running GSX 1 with Windows 2000, Stringbean Softwares iSCSI Target for Windows and Exchange 2000 clustered on it all studying for my 2000 MCSE/Exchange certs ;)

Life was good lol
    Virtualization has got easier since then at least ;)

11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yes but Phoenix, you're not normal. I'm still trying to find that time capsule you landed in. That, or your real parents, and their home planet (which is almost certainly brimming with advanced tech. Hence you getting here).

Nice tips guys think I'll be taking you up on some of them myself!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

apparently you are right Dawn