How do you de-stress from work/study?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BDB2008, Aug 28, 2009.

1. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

I'm finding as studying/job hunting/family life becomes more and more time consuming i'm not getting time to chill and wind down sufficently to feel refreshed enough. The days of meeting the lads on a Friday night at 6pm are gone as were all settled, married with kids - and to be honest too knackered to bother :)

I probably get an hour a day to myself if i am lucky and that time is spent either doing absolutely nothing just veg state of consciousness in front of the TV watching 'nothing' or if im in the mood i load the ps3 and play abit of Tiger Woods or FIFA; however if i'm in a ratty mood i may load up a driving game and loose the tension :)

The thought of reading to destress does not work, it just does not help my brain to relax.

What do you do?

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I play Call of Duty - I find running around shooting people destresses me nicely :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Playing with the kids, board gaming, computer gaming, reading.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Fire up the PC for a bit of WoW, CoD, Counter-Strike:Source, whatever else takes my fancy or whack a DVD in (normally The West Wing, awesome show).

EDIT: forgot to mention, I also help run a ladies football team and a drama youth group (neither of which are particularly DE-stressing to be honest). And I occasionally play tennis. Oh and act for a local theatre group.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I go to the gym. If the weathers nice I'll go for a run or cycle with my partner. Was enjoying just relaxing in the park until the british weather took a turn for the worse in 2006 lol

I only play vid games late on weekends and usually after a late session

Enjoy cooking and I'm learning italian as well as I may have to spend a considerable amount of time there. Time vegetatin in front of the TV is something I reserve for illness or visiting boring friends and relatives

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

working out, watching tv, chillin with the guys or my girl. There's no way in hell I can read when I am stressed....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Watch some of my DVD's or play some games. Either way just generally relax :)

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I go and take a plunge to 40m/130ft and swim with the fishes for a while
    nothing quite relieves the pressure than being under 5 times as much pressure ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Depends how stressed I am :)

A walk with incredibly loud music on normally clears the senses.

I like a nice soak in the bath, lights off, eyes closed (attempting not to fall asleep). A good read or write as well, something to immerse my senses in an area that isn't technological.

I used to be more active - and am trying to go that way again. But I can atest that ladies football is heavily distressing, NOT de-stressing! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Listen to music, watch films, Wii, Read, Karate and boxing.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup.
    And get drunk.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

XBOX 360 with a few beers for me :twisted: or if my girl is watching TV I'll practice some hacking on my virtual machines

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I pick up my guitar and play :git of course well within reach of a stubby :berrr

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Switch off the computer/tv etc, get outside, get on my bike, go for a drive, play the piano.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  15. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Depends.

Daily it's usually a walk with my gf, but after a stressful week sometimes I end up having a spliff and playing team fortress 2 whole night (rarely happens lately, due to me coding for work in my time off).

Also coding de-stresses me too

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I grab the guitar or a good book.

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sleep

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Loud music with a JD and coke. :rocks

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Normally a bit of COD on the xbox, a book or I go for a long walk/ bike ride...haven't had the time to do that too much recently though :(

20. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Xbox, read, karate practice or a play fight with the little one.

Certifications: HND Computing