How do the exams work?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Bokkie, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

Guys, this is my first formal post. A former work buddy has helped me to select the pathways I want to do which is helpful. At this point, my foot is on the starting line. I know more or less how to register for the exams in the UK as I'll use one of the testing centres here in the south-east (I'm based in Crawley sarf of Gatwick, innit). I'm not a chav by the way!:biggrin

Anyway, when you do the exams (I'm starting off on the SQL Server 2008 70-432 exam first) can someone tell me how it works? That is:

1. How long do the exams last?

2. How many questions are you likely to be asked?

3. If you achieve the pass mark, do you get a copy of the certificate there and then?

4. Is there a recommended testing centre I should go to? I'd rather pay a bit more and go to a decent centre. I mention that in case some of them are run from dingy lock-up garages under railway lines for example?

5. Is an adjudicator present to ensure everything is above board and beyond suspicion of cheating?

6. What can you take into the test centre with you?

Sorry if these are obvious questions but as I'm starting my first MCTS I'd like to get an idea of the procedures and protocols involved. Thanks in advance.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi.

1. Not sure on the new exams but you usually get something in the region of 2 hrs.

2. Somebody else might be able to shed more light on this, but I'm not sure if there are a set number of questions or if you just get a selection from the pool. Most of the exams I've done have something in the region of 40-60 questions.

3. You'll get a copy of your exam result there and then, but you will need to to to the MS site and logon to request a certificate.

4. It'll be a registered prometric centre and they tend to be fairly decent although there are some exceptions...

5. Depending on the centre, there will either be somone present or more commonly there will be CCTV in the room with you.

6. NOTHING!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

I presume they at least give you a pen and paper? If you want to go for a pee do they let you or must you piss in a bucket or a flowerpot?:biggrin

Seriously, if you find yourself floundering on a particular question can you move on and come back to it later? I'm not sure how the online questions are navigated.

Are there trick questions? I know the questions must test your knowledge but are there tripwires connected to mines?

4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

-Obie

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, they will generally give you a dry-wipe board and pen, and as Obie says you can make use of the Windows calculator.

Testing centres vary, some are quite up tight but won't object to you popping to the toilet.
    I've known ones that have been OK about you grabbing a cup of coffee or even a smoke if you feel that you've got time on your hands.

Generally the invigilator will be on hand nearby - it may be a receptionist or whatever, so if you need anything you can ask easily. I don't know about prometric, but with Pearson you always used to get a follow up questionaire about the testing centre and how helpful they were etc.

:biggrin

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster