How do I get my foot on the IT Career ladder?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by RewardingPie, Aug 21, 2012.

1. RewardingPie

RewardingPie New Member

Hi guys,

Basically since a young age (around 12) I've always loved computers. When it came to the point in my life where I had to seriously choose a career path I wanted to take it was I.T 100%! So I went to college, worked my socks off and earned two I.T related diplomas and some industry certs which are:

• CompTIA A+
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Networking Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Windows® Operating System Fundamentals

Since then I have found it extremely difficult to land my self in employment. I have had my CV checked over many times and I always get positive feedback . Generally I used to get the excuse of "you haven't had much experience working within I.T" so I thought OK ill try get some. I currently work two days a week at a local IT retail and repair store voluntarily. I have learnt so much since being there, I can quite confidently strip a laptop down and replace CPUs, heat the graphics chip to reseat it and solder a new power jack on and I also do much simpler jobs like virus removal or data recovery. But still no luck.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what I should or shouldn't be doing next? I have a real passion for I.T and I know IF somebody gave me the chance to prove my self I'd be an excellent employee.

Cheers guys,
    Harry

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCTS
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Harry

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to get yourself that first job in IT, have you registered with any of the popular online agencies as well as any local agencies to you?

James

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Just keep applying for jobs in first line areas etc, you may have to go and start in a call centre environment so may not be as hands on as you are used to at the moment, but still really good experience.

Make sure that your CV is showing both your technical and soft skills, you obviously deal with the public now so highlight your customer service skills as well as your techie skills and go for first line support type roles. You will get something eventually. Unfortunately it can just take a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Just keep applying for jobs in first line areas etc, you may have to go and start in a call centre environment so may not be as hands on as you are used to at the moment, but still really good experience.

Make sure that your CV is showing both your technical and soft skills, you obviously deal with the public now so highlight your customer service skills as well as your techie skills and go for first line support type roles. You will get something eventually. Unfortunately it can just take a while.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. RewardingPie

RewardingPie New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! It was looking pretty gloomy for me and was seriously considering a career change until I found this website. It's given me my confidence back so again thanks!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCTS