Problem How do I auto sync Outlook contacts between users if added/edited???

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Evening,

Bit of advice needed...

I have a user who access to a shared contacts list. The problem is that when he updates a contact it doesnt reflect the change on the other two users in his office.

What would I need to do for a user to change a contact and this change to be reflected in the other users contact list???

Any help would be appreciated.

Ps. Its Outlook 2007.

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Where are the shared contacts? Public folder?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

The contact list was restored from a backup PST , and is now found in the users my contacts list which he wants to share.

After speaking to a collegue it seems the contact list is stored locally and needs to be shared between users - by right clicking on the contact list in my contacts then - permissions - then adding the users and their rights (owner,editor etc...).

What do you think?

Im probably making this alot more complicated than it should be:oops:

4. Sparky

You need to find out exactly where the contacts are. If its in a .pst file then the other users will need access to that .pst file as well. If its in the users Exchange mailbox then the contacts will need to be shared and then the other users will need to open that folder from their Outlook profile.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Yeah its a .PST file. so what im gonna do is place the File in the shared area and then open it up in each users Outlook. Hopefully then it will then save any changes made.

Will I have to ammend the permissions on the pst aswell?

6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

i thought pst files can only be used by one instance of outlook
    a kindof locking system

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Im not going to be able to make the changes till Monday so this would be worth knowing and If indeed my plan will work or not.

8. Sparky

If you are using Exchange server then it would be better to share the contacts from the users mailbox.