How do Exam vouchers work?

Discussion in 'A+' started by nugget, Jun 13, 2005.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Stupid question I know, but can anyone explain exactly how the discount vouchers really work?

I joined up to Examvouchers.com and took a $25 off A+ Core exam, redeemed the coupon and then they wanted to charge me $120 USD (instead of $145 USD, standard price).

The idea I have of how it works is I pay them the $120, I get a code, I then put the code into my exam booking with Vue, and then I can book my exam without paying Vue. I take it that Examvouchers.com then pass the exam fee on to Vue? Is this sort of how it works as it's just not clear?:oops:

Also how does it work for the exchange rates as I'm in Switzerland and I pay 229 Sfr for each exam?

As a side issue, why do the USA exam takers get a $53 discount voucher and the rest of the world only a $25 one?:dry

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I can tell you how it's worked for me thus far. I have bought 4 vouchers thus far from GetCertified4Less. Three have been full exam vouchers, so when I got to the paying stage on the VUE website, I put my voucher code in and it reduced the price to pay down to zero. So effectively you are payign whoever you bought the voucher from, not VUE. Obviously at some point the voucher provider will have bought the voucher codes from VUE, probably in bulk which is why they can offer savings etc...

I did mistakenly order one voucher which I thought was a full CompTIA exam for 5$, but turned out to be a 25% discount (ALWAYS read the smallprint!! :) ). The voucher was no use to me though as 25% off the UK retail price was still more expensive than buying a voucher outright.

Dunno why the vouchers are less for the USA, I guess they are working on some type of different tax structure etc... or maybe VUE just don't like non-americans. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Modey, much appreciated. As I pointed out, it's how I thought it worked but it just wasn't clear. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

And at the moment, with the current exchange rate, their MCP voucher price makes them 88p dearer than taking the exam with Prometric! :cry:

I'll keep them in mind when I go back to CompTIA exams though (fancy doing the Server+ one day) - although I still have a couple of 25% off vouchers to use...

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, they offer some great savings for CompTIA stuff, (compared to VUE's prices) but as you say Keith, not that competitive for MCP's.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, I just got one of my vouchers and in less than 24 hours too. Not too bad.

One word of warning though, their materials are well out of date. I just looked at the study guide and it's dated 2001.:dry I hold similar expectations from the test exam too.:x