how difficult are the ms certs?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by carlfinn, May 15, 2007.

1. carlfinn

carlfinn Bit Poster

hi folks, ive just passed my A+ and am now about two weeks into the mcdst, i wondered just how much more intense the exam for this will be compared to the A+? any help would be gratefully appreciated

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I found the A+ a steep learning curve - I was learning from the start. Looking back on it now, I would say it is a fundamental course that covers a broad range of topics at entry level.

I studied for the XP exam first, although wish I studied for the MCDST first. In my opinion, the desktop exams cover slightly more topics (Internet Explorer and Office) in less depth.

If you have been using XP and Office for some time you will probably find the desktop exams straight forward.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I did both Comptia exams (A+, Network+ and security+) as well as (a number) of MS exams (about 15 or so). In my opinion, if you know your stuf all exams are do-able. The comptia exams are more or less one liners. I did them in mostly half the time I got. The MS exams are more scenario based. It will take you more time to read the question, come up with an answer and check if you were right.
    Comptia exams are mostly knowledge, MS exams also need understanding of the concepts.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Very true Tinus. Although I haven't taken half the amount of exams as you, i think that is a perfect discription.
    All the MS exams I have taken require as much effort to figure out the question being asked as finding the answer!

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah i would agree with whats said above. The A+ was a case of reading the question, answering and moving on, but the MS ones need going through a few times to take all the info in before answering. If you know your stuff tho then you shouldnt have a problem.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST exams are a bit more involved than the A+ exams. But as is the case with any exam, if you know the material, it doesn't matter how the questions are asked, how many questions are asked, or how long the questions are... you'll be able to pass, regardless.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

There is also 20 years difference in age:p

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP