Problem How can I use my laptop screen with a computer tower?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juelz, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi I'm thinking of getting a cheap tower, just to use to practice with while I study the Comptia A+ just something I can take apart and maybe upgrade, the one I'm going for is
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Optipl...92821735&sr=8-8&keywords=refurbished+pc+tower
    I was wondering what lead could I use to basically use my laptop screen and keyboard while ruining this unit? and also how would it work? would I connect the lead from the unit to my laptop then power up the unit and not my actual laptop?

2. BIBobby

BIBobby New Member

Hy Juelz,

I was using my laptop's screen as a PS3 display a while ago, i guess you could do the same with your pc, what you need is a external video capture device for your laptop as the HDMI or DVI or VGA ports that you have on your laptop are output only. As for keyboard and mouse, you can find very cheap ones so i don't see why you would waste time getting them to work.
    Hope this helps.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

It would be easier for me, due to limited space to run a wire from my laptop to the tower.. there must be a simple lead that I can connect from my laptop to the unit.. I dont think it would require any kind of video capture.. I believe video captures are mainly used in gaming to stream gameplay. thanks for your comment though, you could be right but Im sure there is a simple lead.

4. BIBobby

BIBobby New Member

No problem, more experienced people on the forum might be able to help you more. Anyway good luck with your A + cert. i'm studying for it at the moment as well .

5. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Look at how many wires it took this guy - and he was willing to tear the screen off his laptop to do that.

Old Laptop LCD Screen Using VGA Connection To PC - YouTube

It should give you some idea of how impractical your request is without purchasing a videocapture device.

You can always plug in a monitor one time to get it set up and then use RDP to access the device over the network, but you will only see what's happening after Windows has loaded, so that's probably not much use for A+ stuff.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Just buy a cheap 15" monitor off ebay/gumtree for <£10 - I cant stand the word "lead" or even worse "wires" and much prefer "cables", Dogs have leads and my mother used to complain about all my "wires" when i lived at home!