Hot Server Room

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Dec 23, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Air conditioning unit for the server room is down. No matter how many high powered fans I put in there or how I point them, the room is still a constant 82 degrees F (alarms go off at 82 degrees). Know of any way to cool the place off (sorry...no windows to break...it's in a basement) until the cooling unit is fixed?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Any chance of renting some portable air con units.

You need some serious ventilation so if there are any windows and doors they need to be opened. That does mean that someone will have to be "On Guard" by the door.

We had the same problem over the summer when we had that heatwave in the UK. Fortunatly we managed to get enough air movement to keep the servers cool.

Good luck and let's hope that the servers stay cool and don't automatically shutdown on you.

Cheers

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just checked with the AC repair guy. He's just now turned on the unit. He may have to shut it down a couple of more times for very short periods but that should be it. With all the fans I've got going including a big air mover, it sounds like the generator room at a major power plant in there. My work area is right outside the server room so It's a miracle I can even think through the racket.

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Lets hope you are not running any HP L class machines the keel over at that temp! :(

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

We seemed to have faired well under the "warm weather". The temp got up to almost 90 degrees F before the air came back on. We had a problem with our mail server but restarting the service seemed to do the trick. We're having an air conditioning unit installed directly into the server room to forstall any future occurances.