Hot backups of GSX hosts

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Mar 31, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Guys

Our DR facility runs off a couple of GSX hosts (can't afford ESX!). Unfortunately, with GSX, there's no native way to take hot backups of running hosts, so, at the moment, we're relying on a cruddy backup method. Since we can't afford a license for Veritas either I think you can probably guess what it is... That's right - Good ol' Windows Backup!

Does anyone know of a free (or dirt cheap) method of running hot backups of GSX VMs? I can't afford to have downtime, so my first port of call (schedule a VM suspend and backup) isn't an option. I've been searching and can't find anything that suggests its possible - largely because the image would be inconsistent. If anyone (Phoenix, Luddym maybe) has any alternative views - or even a definitive 'No - it can't be done' I'd certainly appreciate it

Cheers!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Sorry Zeb, GSX isn't my strong point. Other than Veritas.... I think it 'might' be possible though scripting, but can't really be much help.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What are the host systems that the GSX systems are running on?

Would it be an option to put Acronis on there?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685