Hosted (Cloud) VPN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Asterix, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Guys,
    I have always used vpn's configured from a local hardware VPN concentrator (router) or using the OpenVPN VM, but i have had a lot of issues over the last year of my ISP randomly changing my statically assigned IP, i have just changed providers (so it changed again) and there is the potential of moving house later in the year so i am pretty fed up of losing access and spending time re-configuring clients on remote boxes.

I have attempted to use logmein Hamachi unsuccessfully and so i thought i would run this past everyone in here to get their experiences.

I assume i can just sign up to AWS or buy a VPS with a static IP and host a cloud instance of OpenVPN (no port forwarding needed due to the public IP) and then have this a my perm concentration that my remote sites can connect to - has anyone done this?

Are there any companies that offer "cloud VPN" as a service, I dont mind paying, just i would rather have less config and something that just works - i have tried googling but results are full of people using VPN to evade law enforcement or to watch Iplayer outside of the UK........ surely i'm not the only one trying to do this??

/CB

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Any reason you can't use something like dyndns and use a dns name that would update the changed IP address when it happens?

I use one for my homenas that doesn't matter what the address is of my home router, it always works.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I have never been a fan of dyndns, especially when they started charging for an account.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It doesn't have to be dyndns, it was more an idea of using something like that, at least then if your ISP changes your address you still have a static address to hit.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA