honesty/bending the truth in a c.v

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hi guys.
    im not very experienced at writing c.v's.now my current one is dead honest.i beleive i am selling my self,but could i do this more by bending truths.not lie about qualifications,but about experience.I dont want to upset any one by asking this question.is this common?

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

If your current skillset don't match the potential job it seems a little silly to lie about work experience, this might mean being trusted/expected to perform actions you may not be comfortable doing on your own as you lack the real ability.

Point blank lying, eg, "I made the domain for my old company" when you only administered users is a big fat lie - you have to be careful if you feel you need to lie because you're worried they wont take you on because of the work experience you have be sure to mention things relavent out of work, eg, helping your mates fix computers, help maintaining your uncles company network, being a part of a computing society/club/group - i really wouldn't bend the truth unless necessary, i'd be more inclined to say how quick to learn I am, how i'm studying in my own time to improve and how i've already achieved xyz as that'd compliment what actual experience you have.

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just tell the truth. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

There is a vast, vast difference between outright lying, and placing greater emphasis on various aspects of the job.

For instance, I used to be an Account Administrator (AD user administration, etc). I did some vbscripting on the side, and had some involvement with software development (ie a 6 week secondment where i wrote a new webapp and supported one or two more). Whilst trying to get a development job, I listed it as 'Account Administrator / Developer'. I spend more time in the description going into (great) detail about the development stuff, and only touched on the AA stuff.

None of it couldn't be backed up though, I just placed a much greater emphasis on a lesser part of my job.

Dont lie, but do tweak your cv to play up your strengths.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present