Home Studying Tips

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Mr-Blue-Sky, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

Just started home study for MCDST, using a learning provider online who seems pretty good for the price (I won't published their names here but you can email me if you're interested).

Have racked up around 4 hours worth of studying this week, but need to keep the motivation going. Any ideas? I booked my exams for 5 weeks times to keep me focus.

Today, I keep making too many trips to the coffee machine.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

For studying I would advise doing no more than 45 mins in any one go, then taking a 15 min break.

Rinse and repeat.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I struggle with motivation myself sometimes. After working a 9-5 job, I often feel so tired and drained the books seem even more daunting.

I find having an "area" where I can study very helpful, somewhere with little distraction. No tv, no playstation, no mobile phone etc... Also, continuing on what Craig has already said, schedule breaks for things like going to the coffee machine, fridge etc. I find when I know I have a break coming up, I can usually concentrate on the studying for longer.

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have started reading in bed before going to sleep.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That wouldn't work for me, GBL. My brain power is at its lowest ebb right before bedtime and concentrating on technical information doesn't work out too well for me.

Of course, each person has a different set of habits and abilities, so it may be the perfect time for you. I tend to be more awake and alert at about mid-morning, so that's the best time for me to study (alas, it's also when I'm at work, so no studying gets done...only work for "the boss") :wink:

Pick a time of day when you are most alert and able to absorb and retain information. Taking frequent breaks is good, just don't make the breaks too long. It helps to have small snacks to get your brain and body going. Also, a bit of exercise (it doesn't take much) seems to keep the brain sharp.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't sleep, so I find it helps me relax so atleast I get a couple of hours sleep after reading.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

Thank you all. Off to study now... !

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST