Home Network

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simonp83, Mar 5, 2010.

1. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Going to be setting up a small home network, based around Server 2003, so that i can start working towards my 290 and 291 and just wondering what i need interms of software, especially for virtualisation, can i do it all through Virtual PC or is VMWare a better way of doing things, free software would be preferable if possible. Server and client costs aren't an issue as work have given me permission to use their Technet.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Permission doesn't mean it's legal, why not buy a technet license of your own? My annual renewal cost me £164 this year.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ why would it not be legal? it's a work subscription for their employees to use no? I haven't ever looked at the licence i just don't see who is supposed to use it if not employees !

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If I remember correctly there is a named person for its use, so for each employee to use it there would need to be a subscription per person.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The MSDN subscription is to a named individual, the Technet subscription tends to be aimed at the IT department but not intended for home use even if it benefits the company, it's taken outside of the work environment thereby taking it out of the licensed context, and as I said a personal subscription only cost me £164 per year so why not just do that instead?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. danielno8

£164 is nothing to someone who earns it in 3 hours :P

thanks for clearing up though

7. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Hi Simon,

Not sure what you're budget is but I just bought an HP ML115 that works well. Marketed as a small business server but is basically a small PC. It is very powerful for the money. Quad Core processor and USB port on the MB which I particularly like because you can load VMWare on it and boot from it. Leaving almost all of your HDD space for storage.

Managed to load quite a few Virtual Machines on it with not too much stress on the system.

Cheers,
    Cellardoor

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  8. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Forget that. Just saw you don't need hardware. Does work well with VMWare though :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

I'd recommend getting your own subscription... it's worth every penny. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well if you want to get ahead in the game then you have to pay something at some point.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. danielno8

I wasn't disparaging the purchase of the technet.

12. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

What are the limits with Technet, is it as simple as downloading as much as you want from Microsoft for £164 per year?

I was going to have everything on my main pc machine so don't need hardware, does Virtual PC have the features to network virtual machines together and create a domain?

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You are entitled to 10 licenses for most of the products, there are a few that only give you 1 license (eg Windows Home Server), you can have two types of subscription, one is ISO (download) the other is DVD (physical media), going down the route of DVD is more expensive and in my opinion a waste of money because chances are you would want it in ISO format anyway for the virtualisation.

Yes you can create an entire Domain with VPC.

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, just someone who earns a lot of money!!!

15. danielno8

Apologies if you took it like that.

Obviously wasn't meant, as what is there to disparage about earning a lot of money? I just though it funny you earn it so quick. nothing negative whatsoever meant.

BUY TECHNET IT IS GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY (i mean this in all seriousness, if you are on the MS trail, there really is nothing quite so worhtwhile imo)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The way it came across to me was that you thought that because I earned so much money the cost of Technet wasn't really important to me, in all honesty I could get the software for free (from not so legal sources obviously) but I choose not to. As far as earning money quickly, I don't believe I earn too much, I turn 40 this month, at 24 I was earning approx 15k in the Army, at 40 I would hope you too were earning a decent wage.

I always think that earning should always increase with age because you should be improving your experience and quality.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The other limitation, if I remember correctly, is that you cannot use the TechNet licenses in a live environment for business purposes. For example, you can't host a production database using their SQL Server license.

If I'm mistaken on that, someone please correct me, but I believe that limitation is in there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Nope you are completely correct. This is only to be used for product knowledge\training, not for development (MSDN) or Production (VLK).

19. danielno8

By quickly i meant the fact it was 3 hours, rather than meaning you got to that level too quickly in your career.

Good on you, you clearly are deserving of it. And i agree, it should increase with age and experience, and i'm happy with the wage i am on just now given my age and experience.

20. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Could i just clarify, so if i get a Technet subscription for like £170 a year, i can download all of the consumer versions of Windows, Server versions of Windows, Office, etc, etc, etc and use them for personal and testing purposes?

What exactly is the catch as that seems to good to be true?