Home Network Problem

Discussion in 'Network+' started by halla, Jul 20, 2007.

1. halla

halla Bit Poster

I want to connect my home 2 desktops to share resources and internet having the following net ware:-
    • 10base-T rated mini desktop Hub with 9 RJ45 ports and own PS.
    • ASDL Modem Router with 1 RJ45, 1 USB output ports and own PS.
    • Fast Ethernet built in NIC in the main desktop.
    • PCI Ethernet NIC (RJ45) in the other desktop.
    • One 20 meters CAT 5 UTP cable between the sets.
    • One 5 meters CAT 5 UTP patch cable.
    • One USB cable connecting the C48 Epson printer to the main desktop.
    So far I can share the internet thru the modem but I can’t get the desktops to see each other to share the resources e.g. printer. Both the workgroup and the PC s were named and the modem router installation disk was used for configuration but failed.

I now suspect the HUB low rating but can’t be sure and will be grateful for any help.

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What is the Operating System that you are using?

If XP make sure the windows firewall is off. Other third party firewalls and Anti-virus software that dont have some settings that block incoming traffic.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Is the Microsoft share service loaded? Is simple file sharing enabled?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. phildamb

phildamb New Member

you would also need to ensure that what devices/resources you are attempting to share are set to be shared. Sometimes to it may help to turn on Netbui/Netbios names.

5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

How are things connected? You haven't said what is linked to what through what....?

(Unless I'm too thick to work it out... which isn't beyond the realms and all that....)

PC1---------Hub-------Router--Internet
    (ignore this...) |
    (ignore this...) |
    PC2-----------|
    |
    |
    Printer

???

How are the PCs getting their IP addresses? DHCP from the router? (Best way)
    Have the PCs got the Router as their default gateway?
    Are the PCs in the same WORKGROUP?

If the PCs are accessing the internet as above, then the hub is not the problem if there is no connectivity between the PCs.

Edit: sorry about the diagram... bloody BB code!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

While the old hub isn't optimum - it *should* work.

If both PCs can surf the 'net then it is in fact working OK. So the likely problem is that you haven't enabled shareing on the PCs. How you do this will depend on which versions of Windows you have on them.

Oh - and they *don't* need to be in the same Workgroup - this is a common myth! It just makes things easier.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. halla

halla Bit Poster

Thanks all for the responses - Yes OS is XP SP2, yes F/P sharing enabled, yes firewall disabled as modem router has inbuilt firewall. As for AV, NOD32 is being used. As for the need to enable Netbui/Netbios names, I can't follow.

As for connection, when the Modem Router USB port is connect to main desktop and the modem's RJ45 port connected to the other desktop (by the 20 meter Cat5 cable), internet connection is shared ok.

But when the 2 PCs and the Modem Router are connected (star)to the Mini Hub, I can share the internet but the PCs can't see each other and hence can't share resouces.

As for the IP configuration, I used the modem router installation disk wizard. That is why I am suspecting the low rating of the HUB. Can any one advise me if the Hub is ok?

Thanks again

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

XP Home or Pro?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Godammit Harry! No one ever told me!!!!!!!!! :cussing

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As I said - it isn't the best - but it should work.

With the 2 PCs connected to the hub go into each, open a cmd window and type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and post the results here.

I suspect that the 'setup disk' (which actualy you didn't need to use) has confused things.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...Thread reviewed

...awaiting further update

12. halla

halla Bit Poster

Please bear with me as I have been held by compelling circumstance>>> will refert ASAP thanx

13. halla

halla Bit Poster

Sorry for my late response. The latest is as follows:-

When I started this post, I was using SPeedTouch 330 ASDL modem. Last year I bought SpeedTouch 536 Modem Router but due to the above problems I returned to the use of SpeedTouch330.

I was inspired by the positive responses and set about to try again with the tips and help given in this posting.

I decided to uninstall SpeedTouch330 driver and its software first, but I could not do that through Add Remove Programs nor by manual Registry editing. So I did that from outside windows using the Mini-PPE bootable CD utilizing its very useful utilities. I obliterated all Registry entries and deleted all files related to it as far as I can. So when I rebooted – with fingers crossed, I had a SpeedTouch free windows.
    I then made my hardware reconnections, inserted the SpeedTouch 536 Modem Router Installation disk and followed its wizard to the end. Guess what the 2 PCs saw each other for the first time… Alas at last! And both can connect to the internet. That being said, I am not yet out of the wood, fresh problems appear to surface e.g. when I try to open the other PC in the network it asks for the user and password.
    That is where I reach up to now, but I am dam pleased I got rid of old modem driver and its associated software.

Although I stand to be corrected, I think it was the culprit to my headache. I am posting this with the 536 Modem Router

Thanks

14. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I'm not convinced the modem was anything to do with the problem, but, hey, you've managed to get a step further by setting up the modem/router, so let's go from there.

[Mac stops and thinks a second... Harry will probably post in a minute completely contradicting anything I say,,,, shall I not bother and just wait???? Oh, what the hell...]

The files or resources on each machine are protected by security, and you need to set up the right permissions on each machine so that you are able to access what you want. You can't just flirtatiously say 'Come on down Computer B - all my goodies are sitting here waiting for you. Where are you baby? I'm waiting, and I'm hot!'

Have you run 'Network Setup Wizard' from Control Panel? If not, try it. It will make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication over your LAN.

To share something, you have to go to the folder in Windows Explorer, right click and select 'Sharing' and choose to 'Share this Folder'

Try that. I assume in My Network Places, each machine is visible to the other? If not, try using
    Start -- > Search --> Computers or People
    and search for the machine by its name. It sometimes takes a little time for them to show up in a browser window, especially the first time you set up networking, but Search will find them if it can.

If still no joy: There is something called Simple File Sharing, where on each computer there is a 'Guest' account, and if you give permission for this guest account to access the resources, they will be accessible from the other machine. OR, you can turn SFS off and instead have a much more secure system where every resource is governed by its individual NTFS permissions. More secure, but involving a little more more work to set up.

To find which you have set up already,
    right-click My Computer --> Explore
    Tools--> Folder Options
    'View' tab - the last tick-box option is for Simple File Sharing, is it on or off?

If off, you will have to use 'User Accounts' in Control Panel to set up on each machine an account that corresponds to the account you use on the other machine. That is, on Computer A you need a new user called [ComputerB username] and give it a password. And do the reverse on Computer B with an account that has your ComputerA username on it. Then, when selecting the folder and choosing 'Sharing and Security' you have to select to share the resource and then give 'permission' for the new user to access the resource.

Others here will surely disagree, but the first thing I ever do on a new XP machine is get rid of Simple File Sharing, and the Guest Account. It isn't essential, it just depends how paranoid you are.

Oh well, that'll do for now... ask if you get stuck [or wait for Harry]

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually MacAllan your post is spot on 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)