Hola!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BigRikk, Jul 7, 2010.

1. BigRikk

BigRikk New Member

Hey there

I am new to this site and IT as a career to be honest. I am currently a social worker looking to change over with the ultimate goal to become an ethical hacker. Anyways hello to everyone and any advice on courses what types of jobs to start out in just give me a holla.

Take care all

Rikk

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

To be come a security expert in the IT industry, you have to start out at the bottom like everyone else. You need to gain experience first before you can start specializing in a certain area. To get the the CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) cert is aimed at individuals with many years of experience. What I would do is start with the basic IT Technician stuff like CompTIA A+, Network+ and keep going... keep in mind that it is recommended to get hands on before any certifications so while you're studying for these certifications, also look for work.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi welcome to CF,

Agreed as above A+ N+ MCDST normally the way to start.

Just doing my A+ now.

Regards

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BigRikk

BigRikk New Member

Cheers guys/girls.

I have looked into this and looking at local colleges and uni's first as there is a lot. Firebrand training looks ok but is expensive for a boot camp (£3500+) for COMPTIA A+ and Networking A+. However, just wondering would this get me a basic job in support as an IT Technician to begin with?

Thanks for the advice people

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

you are much better off self studying for these exams as the books are around £30 each and the exams are around £380 (2x £110 for the A+ and £160 for the N+)
    As for whether they will get you a job well you will need to apply and such :p
    how ever these along with maybe the MCDST should be enough for a 1st line support job

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Avoid bootcamps in general, especially if you have no prior experience, in a few cases they can be useful for experienced people with rich employers to help cram for exams, generally they are not the best way to learn.

There are colleges that off A+ nightclasses at reasonable rates (£500 for six months part time usually.). Self study is also very possible.

The CEH is very much a marketing fad from what I can gather from InfoSec forums, there are other qualifications that seem to be taken more seriously. Many of the techniques are out of date, its really more of a fun cert to have I think, maybe CEH people can correct me.