HMV going under...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

….bit of a blow for old f@rts like me that actually like picking up CDs and buying them.

Anyone else a bit gutted about this?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

It is a shame, but sadly adapt or die.
    I'm more gutted about the fact that soon the high street will be dead and full of charity shops , betting shops etc.
    I have to add that having costly physical outlets and competing against the likes of Amazon, who pay almost no UK tax, and piracy, was always going to end badly in the end.

I think the last time I was in HMV I was looking buying a NOW album... on quadruple cassette... :(
    G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I did like getting a few random CDs in HMV – not quite the same when shopping online.

Not going to be much left on the High Street the way things are going.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sad isnt it mate. Blockbusters too. I knew their days were numbered but hoped an online presence could save them. Unfortunatley i think they got into it too late, no doubt enjoying their steep physical rental charges for that bit too long. Sad times tho like you say, both giants when I was growing up

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Part of blockbuster is still profitable (so it said on the radio) - My guess is that it's the online part.
    Expect the stores to go and blockbuster to continue in an online capacity only

what a happy start to 2013 :(

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

It's certainly a sad state of affairs.

We'll be left with a High Street of coffee shops, betting shops, charity shops and pound shops.

Leafing through a prospective book / magazine purchase or flicking though rows of CD's / video games can't be beaten with it's online browsing cousin...

Bit like Kindle versus REAL books - no comparrison. But at the same time I can't fully sign-up to the "it's the internet that's killing business" argument. Business models have to change - and, luckily, some have.

I still haven't got over Our Price closing and a world without the Virgin Megastore, and both of those disappeared for very different reasons than those that are currently experiencing problems...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Its certainly a shame but I'm only surprised that they managed to last this long. When I do go into HMV to have a browse I'm shocked every time at the prices they charge for things.
    I realised the last week actually that I don't think I've bought a physical CD for a couple of years now (plenty of music yes, physical cd's not one) and certainly no CD's from music shops for a number of years before that they are just darn to expensive compared to other options, that and even big music shop rarely had the music I wanted to buy anyway and you generally cant sample the music before purchase.

Also games and dvd's are expensive compared to online options, I never buy a new game when it comes out (just cant justify the expense) but wait a couple of months until its in the 20-25 quid range which happens online quickly but in shops games can stay at 50 quid for ages after that.

Unfortunately physical music shops have been dead to me for a number of years now.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

the thing I do like about HMV is that you can go in and see all the tech set out to play around with... stuff like the latest games consoles, tablets, ebooks, headphones across different price ranges yet you cannot do that online. on saying that, I have not bought anything from HMV for years

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I wasn't surprised either, they've been overpriced compared to competitors for such a long time its amazing they've lasted this long to be honest.

I went in there to get a couple of box sets for Christmas, I couldn't believe the prices, I must of saved about £50 in total by getting them online instead.

The high street is definitely on its way out, we're on an administration a day at the moment!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Bets on the next chain to bow out???

Veto any fast food chain ever...when was the last time you saw a McDonalds closing down

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  11. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I personally can't believe that WH Smith is still going, they too have been ridiculously over priced for so so long! Matter of time til they go I reckon!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!