Hiya all.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dgwl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

So, another new member and formalities to do. My name is Dave and i've just completed my MCSE course last month. Now is the case of 7 exams to qualify for Cert before the switch-over date of Server 2003.

I'm currently browsing these forums to find the answer to my question which is:

Which career path to take - MCTS SQL 2005 or CCNA.

After completing my MCSE, i found the subnetting and networking side of the course relatively easy and although not as quick as most people, the breaking down of subnetting numerically wasn't that difficult.

Question is, do i want to go into Databasing or Networking? I understand that SQL is another level compared to CCNA and it frightens me. I'm unsure whether i want to be recognised to be skilled in SQL, or knowing how to maintain a network.

Anyone with suggestions or experience in both would be greatly appreciated in helping this poor sod out.

Many Thanks.

WIP: MCSE, A+, CCNA
  2. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

However... Reading a few of the posts in the forums i'm starting to get disheartened by the sheer fact that i may have dived into the deep end of things..

I have no IT experience whatsoever apart from the fact that out of 22 years on this planet, i have been using, abusing, fixing, breaking etc a computer for 18 years. Obviously this doesn't account for experience towards getting a job but i like to think it was somewhat a happier time of my life :)

Anyhow, I've been reading that MCSE does not = £30k/annum straight away. I realised that before i took the course and was actually looking more for entry-level helpdesk/support work before trying to get the 2nd/3rd line admin support job i've been eagerly anticipating.

Having never been to University and not exactly an academic after leaving high-school, i knew that experience was more important for me to get a job than certifications (unless i got extremely lucky).

The reason why i'm disheartened is that many of you believed that self-studying for MCSE was more for value than paying £1200 for a course. Granted, i'm now kicking myself for not realising that the exams were £88 each and not inclusive but i found my course explained DNS and subnetting to me that otherwise i would have dropped like a fly.

I'm curious to what your opinions would be for my next course of action. I feel that i have these options:

1. go back and complete A+
    2. go forward and start SQL 2005
    3. go forward and start CCNA
    4. study and complete the necessary exams to gain MCSA
    5. complete (4) and complete further 3 exams to gain MCSE.
    6. Find a job, get off me lazy bum, and revise/complete exams as i work.
    7. Go to jail, do not pass advance, do not collect £200.

Advice?

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

The collective wisdom here I suspect would say option 6.

If you want to learn some SQL to see if it is for you you can always down load and mess about with MySQL, and it won't cost you a penny!

The worlds of Networking and Databases are fairly far apart in some ways - so I suggest you try and clarify in your mind which you want to major in.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I vote for 6 and 1.

According to Microsoft, the MCSA and MCSE are designed for people who ALREADY have months of experience administering a multi-site network environment of 250+ users and 3+ DCs... not months of experience in IT, but months of experience doing THAT particular job. Getting the MCSA or MCSE certifications without the requisite experience would not be very useful to you because entry-level jobs don't involve a lot of work with servers or AD. This knocks out options 4 and 5 until you build some experience.

Similarly, the CCNA is designed for people who have a little experience with Cisco equipment. Getting the CCNA would similarly not help you get an entry-level job because entry-level jobs don't involve working with Cisco equipment. This knocks out option 3 until you build some experience.

I'd hold off on the SQL stuff for the same reasons as above.

On the other hand, the A+ is GREAT for helping you get an entry-level job, and will give you a solid foundation of knowledge that you can build upon.

Don't wait until you've got the A+ to start looking for a job... start looking NOW, while studying for the A+. If you get the A+ before you find a job, add it to your CV and keep looking. You can even start the Network+ and/or MCDST certifications afterwards. The knowledge you have gained while taking the MCSE course will come in handy and may help you to study faster and advance in your career faster. Show the aptitude for certain things, and your employer will notice.

If you want to do option 7, that's between you and the warden. :p Wish I had a Get Out Of Jail Free card to loan you!

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi mate Welcome

Firstly you may find it harder to get a jon with MCSE if you have no experience, Microsoft recommend that you have about 6 months - year proffessionally before getting the cert.

Some employers may disregard you because they might think you have use braindumps to get the cert or something like that.

If you want to get in Networking I would say do the A+, N+ and MCDST and get yourself a job in the process maybe hiding your MCSE cert on your CV for a while would help you get a job.

Also I never had a problem with SQL when I was Uni infact I thought it was easy, it C++ I had a problem with and ASP.

If you want to be a DBA have a look at the Microsoft cert for it.

But whatever you do get a job now.

For the A+ you need CompTIA all in one exam guide by Mike Myeres 6th edition and PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

Thank you all very much for replying - and may i add in a very supportive manner.

One of the reasons why i asked which direction (in terms of courses) was because i paid to do a package of MCSE and SQL 2005, but after consideration i felt that dealing with databasing all day long wasn't really a venture i wanted to take.

And so i rang up my college to switch to CCNA. However, having read your comments i may actually switch it back a step to A+.

The only concern i have is that perhaps i will be able to complete A+ on my own rather than get tutorage for it?

Thoughts?

PS. I paid £1600 for MCSE + SQL 2005. Which wasn't too bad considering in Oxford (my hometown) they were asking £2100 alone for MCSE, whereas it was £1200 at this current college i'm at.

7. greenbrucelee

If you put your mind to it you can do all certs by self study :)

8. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

Hhaha Thanks GBL. I suppose so.

I'm looking to invest in the AIO Mike Meyer's 6th edition then. Only thing is, the next edition comes out in febuary... oh well, just get this exam done before then ;)

9. greenbrucelee

I can't see much changing in the next one apart from things like updated RAM speeds and CPUs and the odd editorial error.

I would get the 6th edit now and start studying.

EDIT: where did you see about a 7th edition?

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Option 7 for me, love that game... :)

Joking aside Meyers A+ 6th Edition really is great, good luck with it :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Specializations-Certification-Guide-220-603-220-604/dp/0071493344/ref=sr_1_2/202-8208387-6210242?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194023112&sr=1-2

from there mate, says pre-order for feb 2008

12. greenbrucelee

That is a specialization version for the remote desktop support and field service technician exams 220-603 and 220-604.

Unless you are being required to do this by a work place then stick with 220-601 (Essentials) 220-602 (technician, used to be called hardware)exams for the A+

And the 6th edition covers all 4

The one you posted a link to only covers 2.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

GBL is quite correct. I have yet to take a paid training course for ANY of my certifications in my sig, below.

The 6th edition is the most recent. As GBL stated, the book you linked to is for two specialization exams that are not usually taken by most A+ candidates... most people take 220-601 and 220-602.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome, I agree with BM, 6 'n' 1 for me 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009