Highest Payed IT Career

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by vivek_master146, Feb 4, 2009.

1. vivek_master146

vivek_master146 Bit Poster

Which is the highest payed IT career ?

I know it depends on country but i am talking in general.

I have heard that CISCO's CCIE is highest payed IT job.

What about .NET Programmers ?

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Erm, well it's paid and not payed.

But moving along...

The best way to check current IT professional's average salaries is through IT Jobs Watch - Link

You can specify area, expertise etc etc.

Just remember - work for enjoyment, not for money :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

CEO of Oracle

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Owner of Microsoft.

Don't worry about what's the highest paid... do whatever in IT you truly *enjoy* doing. If you enjoy doing what you do, and you're good at it, you will do well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

My mate Dave earns the most money in IT..

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would think that there are many really high paying IT jobs. It all comes down to really specialized, stressful, big companies, huge IT environments, etc... This could be anything from programming to network administration to exchange specialization, etc...

Thing is though you need to have many many years of experience and know what you're doing.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know a guy who is CCIE and great at .NET stuff and he is on £100k, he is also MCSE but does Linux support in his spare time as well as supporting a full VMware network. On his weekends he does support for an IBM mainframe and then works in PC world on Sunday selling PCs.

His name is Dave.....

P.S Silly question = silly answer 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Dave sounds busy :p
    I agree with the above post, money is great, but it's not a substitute for happiness!

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You know my mate Dave as well then..

He is a nice chap, but could do with a shave the hairy bugger!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

You can't hide behind aliases you know craigie :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

My mate Sid got paid £200k last year for flicking a switch :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

The guy that used to live next to me was on £125k+ a year for running the network for a newspaper group.
    But he did do 16 hour days, hardly saw his family & was on call most weekends.
    Gave it all up to move to New Zealand & enjoy his life more!!

Earning ££££ does not = happiness!!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  14. technet

technet New Member

All areas can pay highly (except perhaps helpdesk/support). You just have to be really good at what you do and build up the right contacts and take grab of the right opportunities at the right time :)

15. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think it's a fair question but to be honest if your at the top of your game then rewards will come in whatever field you are in (within reason). Better salary usually comes with time and experience and it's rare that most people in IT jump straight into a job that pays really well. Look at trends in IT if you want to see where to start but the warning given to me is that niche jobs might pay well but will be hard to come by jobs so stick to getting a good all round knowledge base and then take it from there.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  16. vivek_master146

I agree with you all. I want to be in the IT world because i love computers. I love programming, solving PC prob. of my firends, relatives(troubleshooting) and i also do basic web designing and SEO work. My aim is to become Window application and web application developer.

Many people say that stick to one thing. Be the king not the jack of all.

I agree with it but it does not mean that if i got a job in programming then i should left all other hobbies(SEO,web designing,troubleshooting). I have seen people who works as VB and VB.NET developer also design websites in weekends. He gives advertisemtents in newspaper for web design.

I love to gain more and more knowledge about How Window OS works, solving virus problems and SEO tricks.

Salary is not an issue, main thing is my passion.

17. vivek_master146

People call me PC expert not because of my programming skill but because i have solved many PC problems, fixed errors due to virus etc etc.

BTS, IS COMPTIA A+ the best course for troubleshooting hardware and OS both ?

Does MCDST gives good knowledge about Windows XP like functions of each processes running, dll files, paging files, system files etc. etc. ?

18. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Both the A+ and MCDST give a good basic understanding of hardware and software (MCDST based on Microsoft XP and A+ isn't vendor specific). It really depends on what area you want to go into to where you start and what certs you aim for. I would agree in that sticking to one path to start with is a good idea. Be good in one area rather than average in several. In time you can always change direction or expand into other areas given a chance.

What I would do is see what your most interested in and map out a study path for yourself and then go for it. People on here will always be willing to give advise and help you out :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes the A+ and MCDST will help with your hardware and software troubleshooting skills, they wont do much good for programming though:p

BTW I earn the most in IT :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. vivek_master146

But many people have programming as well as troubleshooting skills. Software engineer is expected to have good understanding of OS, solving virus problems. Am I Right ?