higher or lower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Nov 20, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok ive made my mind up all, ive decided to go for a laptop, but i want one that i can connect to the net wirelessly . Should i go for one with the mobile technology in it, whch are about 1.5 or should i buy a decent laptop with a 3 gig processor and stick a card in the side, would that be better , i know its seems a simple question but a bit of verification would be appreciated

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ultimately it is up to you.

Im my opinion the only advantage to going with one with wireless built in would be how often it is going to be moved around, as you don't want to be plugging the card in and out all of the time if you want to keep putting it in a bag.

That said though you can get a lot more laptops now which have embedded wireless, so price isn't always a conisderation.

Did you have any specific models in mind?

8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Try looking HERE for a start to see what is available and spec. We use them for Staff lappies at our school. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

well after the ad on telly ill not bother with a Toshiba , i dont know about you but i think its annoying . Basically i want a really high spec laptop at a decent price and so i can plug a card into the side of it, i mainly want it for gaming and general use, im thinking of getting a dell one ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, if you're going to use it for gaming see the one that Phoenix suggests in this thread.

It probably costs a bit tho!

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

These days definitely go for a lappy with wireless built in, preferably with a switch so you can turn it off when necessary i.e. if you are using it on an aircraft.

Also, get one which has a high res 15.4 wide-screen, at least a Gig of RAM, Fast mobile processor and decent battery life, dig cam memory stick readers built in, plus Fire-wire, plus LAN, plus modem. etc etc.

Buy a laptop that is powerful enough to see you into the future. I am still using mine after five years (HP yuk) but it has none of these features and the ones I sell do and they make me want them so badly :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)