High download speeds!!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Aug 3, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:eek: so just as I am typing this. I have just finished downloading a 700MB file in exactly 12min and 35sec :eek: the download speed peaked at 1.2MBps and was averaging about 900KBps. Definitely the fastest download for a 700MB file I have done so far....man I love Telewest...10Mb woot!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Was that p2p, Http or Newsgroups?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

BitTornado mate...

4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Sweet speed. :thumbleft

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know thanks man...:biggrin

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow - my so called BB connection costs me an arm and a leg and averages at 53K/sec :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Blimey, i take it DSL is something that hasn't come *full circle* in Oz then Pete?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Of course you have to thank the uploaders for that, because if it wasn't for their upload speeds, you wouldn't have gotten a nice d/l. ;)

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No we have a long way to go to catch up with the UK, Europe and the US, we are dragging behind most of the rest of the world sadly but I am doing my bit to promote the need for faster speeds.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

that is a good point there altho sometimes if there is only about 5 people uploading I am still amazed at the high speeds I am getting. In total I can get about 500-650K...not bad I think...

11. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

I guess you have more to catch up with Asia/Hong Kong/Japan...

do you know what speed and what technology they've got out there already? way beyond Europe I can guarantee, and it ain't costing much either.

there is something called dedicated 1GB (up & down same speed, unlimited bandwidth usage) broadband internet which is available via fibre-optics, and a lot of people are hosting servers using their home computers, or use that "home" connection to open cyber cafes...........etc.

so......what you are seeing now.....seems fast......but is not fast at all.....in another world.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

we know that we wont be getting none of the juicies flowing at that spped any time soon.

We (more Noel) are just happy when we exceed our bandwidth limits... I know we are behind in the technology, and paying loads of money for it, and we know its not fair... how you reckon our poor soul Pete is feeling, probably suicidal! ....hope not :rolleyes:

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

actually £35 a month for a 10Mb connection uncapped is what I would call FANTASTIC value for money over here in the UK...and the service is top notch too! :biggrin...anyone planning to move to Japan soon? got any room for one more? hehe...

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I have just got back on DSL and pleased to report a juicy 7mb down, 448 kbps up. :)

Si

15. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Did anyone see the program on BBC2 last night about Broadband

In France there is a service called Freebox that gives internet / tv/ phone all for £20 a month and thats with 24mb broadband !!!

this includes HD broadcasts that you pay about £2 to watch a move that you can fast forward and rewind stop pause etc

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Blimey, thats good. We seemed to pay the highest prices for everything *over here*

Si

17. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

I have a rather nice 10MBit NTL Line here :)
    512K Upload.

Never drops below 1.18MB/s when connecting via Usenet (Newsgroups) via Giganews European Server.

Im just waiting for 20MB now :p