Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mkultr4, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mkultr4

mkultr4 Bit Poster

Hi

New to the forum.

I work in IT and have about 15yrs experience but have spent most of that time just skimming the subject of my job. Work in 1st/2nd line support doing desktop stuff - not allowed near any server or network config nor deployment.

As well wanting to increase prospects of gaining better job/more money, I feel that i need to gain some qualifications in case of my being in the job market in the near future due to the crazy economic situation at the moment. To be honest i dont have a natural inclination to read up on IT unlike many peeps in work. However i need to try and knuckle down.

i did a college term covering windows 2000 client MCP (70-210) about 6 years ago but didnt really follow it up after that.

I have the microsoft 70-680 training kit which has been staring at me from the shelf for the past few months 7 i either need to work hard going through that or i need to find a better/more suitable course.

i have a vmware rig setup to enable server/workstation scenarios.

I guess what i am asking is; am i better of picking another course to get into the self study habbit or is 70-680 a good place to start and if so, is the MS press book all i should need?

I need some serious CV enhancement.

I should also add that i can only study for about an hour maybe 4 times a week.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

70-680 is a fine place to start, especially considering your experience. You could pursue the A+ and Network+ if you wanted to, but it's by no means a requirement.

For Microsoft exams, I generally recommend Microsoft Press and Sybex. However, I haven't used either for 70-680, so I can't comment on how well they prepare you for the exam.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!