Hi!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Apexes, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just a quick note to introduce myself, and my reason for joining the forum.

My name's Jack - I've been working as an IT Analyst for the past 2 years for a large enterprise company, dealing with everything thrown at me really, OS deployment, SCCM, desktop support, exchange administration, active directory maintenance, license servers for applications, and some very very basic VM knowledge and lots more

I've been offered a role in my company within the infrastructure team, dependant on me learning the necessary skills - and studying for an appropriate exam. So far everything i know is from experience, and pretty much self taught, and i have no qualifications, which i probably regret not doing from the start!

I've got basic knowledge in server functionality and really only knowledge suited for the way my office IT run them, but to take on the role i need a much more in depth knowledge of server 2008 r2, as obviously each office/site run their servers differently and i'd be helping support/troubleshooting, installing and configuring.

I'm looking at studying from books and taking the exams when i feel ready, and found this book Here - Does anyone have any advice on whether this book would be good, or suitable, or even if there is an alternative which may be better suited?

I really want to get into the role, it's a great offer and oppurtunity as i'd love to take my career to that level, and it's what i want to do

Thanks in advance, and i look forward to reading up on posts on here, I'm sure i'll have questions once i get studying! :)

Cheers,
    Jack

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Sybex books are good.

But be sure to read through MS press book for your exam.

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For Microsoft exams, I generally recommend MS Press and Sybex, so you should be good there.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome...

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D