Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by eric54, Jan 11, 2009.

1. eric54

eric54 New Member

Hi all

Just a quick intro. I do not currently work in I.T but studying for my CCNA. Finding it very interesting and look forward to contributing to the forum and exapnding my knowledge.

Nick

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I have to ask - why do CCNA if you aren't in IT? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Also considering that the CCNA expires after 3 years and there's no guarantee that you'll be working with Cisco kit...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hi and welcome Nick. :D

If you're not current working in IT a better starting point might be to do A+, Network+ or even MCDST.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  5. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

There is a misunderstanding from some people as to the way certification works and what it is for.

I myself studied CCNA as part of my university course for 2 years and I could have taken the certification exam at the end but I decided instead to first get some work experience and then get certified. There are many problems going with the certification route first, these include: the fact that by itself without relevant work experience, employers are not attracted to it, that you may not work with Cisco equipment, that they only last a certain amount of time before you have to renew them and that if you get certified and are still looking for work 12 months later, all that effort you put into learning will be wasted as most of it will be forgotten. If you work in I.T then you are using what you learned from certification, instead of letting it rot.

work experience > certification

NOT

certification > work

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF's. Glad you joined.

NoCompanyIT's spot on with his advice. Revise your training plan and start with the A+, N+, MCDST.

Good luck!

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642