Hi!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Jonezy101, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Jonezy101

Jonezy101 New Member

Hi everyone! My name's Tom Jones (well Thomas, so no more you-know-who jokes:biggrin)

I'll tell y'all a little bit about myself. I'm 18, male (need I mention?), and I currently work at Tesco's in Rugby. My hobbies are spending time with friends and the missus, playing guitar & music and computers and IT.

I'm looking to achieve an MCSA, and I admit I have been looking at training providers and such, but I've decided to go down the self-study route and will need alot of help to get me started!

I don't have any real experience in IT, although I do have a GNVQ at Pass level, and I passed my computers in music module at college (I also have a BTEC ND in music tech :))

If anyone has any advice, hints and tips as to where to start and what I need to study and such before the MCSA will be most appreciated! I'm also aware that this isn't the right forum for it but I'm new so... :p

Don't hesitate to message me and such if you just want to chat!

Tom

Certifications: Does a GNVQ count??
    WIP: undecided at the moment
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

I don't know if you had the chance to brows the forum so the advice I'll give is the same advice that a lot of people on here support.

MCSA is for someone who is experienced. Meaning you've actually implemented the the scenarios, tasks, etc on the job. This certification is there to inforce what you already know, with that said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't go for, basically start with the basics and work your way up.

As for the basics, the best route would be certifications such as A+ and Network+ these are vendor neutral certifications that will provide you with a good base to build up from there. Then you should start looking for jobs or internship in IT to develop the skills you've learned in A+, Network+, etc. As a matter and fact, you should start asap, don't wait to get the cert. I find that I personally learn better from actually doing things, so try to setup a lab at home, nothing fancy or expensive, just something you can take a part, put back together, install, reinstall, etc. You will see how much easier it is to learn.

It all starts from the basics and then you work your way up to MCP (70-270), MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, etc.

Good Luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Jonezy101

Jonezy101 New Member

Yeh, I know I need the neutral vendor certs first then work my way up (sorry if that sounds a bit snotty).
    I've posted in the Microsoft forum so hopefully I will get alot of help there, but could you reccommend any books and such for the A+ and Network+?

And in terms of kit, what do you think I should look at? I'll most likely buy after crimbo, 'cause that's when my next pay is, heh.

Certifications: Does a GNVQ count??
    WIP: undecided at the moment
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Starting with the A+, grab the Mike Meyers - All In One - 6th Edition, highly recommended here at CF!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA