Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by RichG, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RichG

RichG New Member

Hi,

I'm Rich, I've been working in IT for around 10 years and have recently started to (try) and focus my skills on Microsoft OS. I managed to fail my re-sit on 70-294 last week - and so I'm here to get some ideas for better study. Constant revising / the practice tests from the MS Press book seem to have pretty much failed on this exam - so any ideas would be really appreciated!

Cheers,
    Rich

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: 70-643
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What other MS exams have you taken mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. RichG

RichG New Member

Hi Sparky,

I've taken the three other core exams (070, 071, 073) and didn't have any trouble passing those. I've just become a bit stuck on this one! I'm in two minds to buy the exam cram book from Amazon (0789736209), but I'm just looking for thoughts/ideas.

Cheers

4. Sparky

Exam cram books are generally used just to go over what you already know, I think if you are struggling with the exam then it won’t help you out. Others may disagree with me on that one though.

Have you done any lab work for this exam? I set up a few servers when I was studying for the 70-294 and I think I had about 3 domains all running at the same time. :eek:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. RichG

RichG New Member

I've installed Server 2003 on a home machine, and have gone through a lot of the lab work either on that or had a look around on one of the domain controllers at work. It's obviously not possible to go through a lot of it with only one DC, or in a small environment domain though (so yes, I've cut corners there). It would make sense for me to buy a couple of cheap servers and go through all the lab stuff again.

To be honest I struggle as much with time on the exam. You don't seem to have much time at all to think/plan your way through the questions. Do you know what the pass rates are on the exams at all? I've had a google around but didn't really find any specifics.

6. Sparky

No idea what the pass rates are tbh and I don’t think MS releases that kinda info.

You could install Virtual Server on your own Server and run a couple of VMs. For the 70-294 you need to learn about domain trusts etc. so setting one up should help you out for the exam.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. RichG

RichG New Member

Yeah - thanks man I've just actually downloaded it and will have a play. Never actually used Virtual Server anyway so will be good to have a look at it.

9. RichG

RichG New Member

Cheers!

10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  13. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi,

I'm Poor :oops: Sorry bad joke! Hi Rich, welcome to CF :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  14. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Sorry to hear that mate. But Sparky is right, you actually need to get enough hands-on. wil be taking that exam next week. Am actually studying with MS press books. Anyway, i believe you will make it on your next attempt

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. RichG

RichG New Member

Cheers!

17. RichG

RichG New Member

I've heard that a few times now dullage, but appreciate the effort!

18. RichG

RichG New Member

Thanks - I *have* done hands on. I was speaking to a guy that does some uni lecturing at work and he gave me some good tips - I'm going to do more hands on and follow his tips. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the exam. Good luck!