Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mordred, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Hi all,

Found this forum a few days ago whilst revising for my Network+ exam and now that Ive passed I thought I would join up.

Ive just finished my first year at university studying a Bsc in Business Computer Systems. The year previous to this I was at college and achieved A+ certification, but failed the Network+ exam. I re-took the exam again a few hours ago and passed at the second attempt so am now Comptia A+ and N+ qualified :)

In the future after Uni I hope to progress to Cisco certification (tried CCNA through Open University as well as my uni degree but had to give up on CCNA- too much ambition lol) and work towards being certified and hopefully employed in the network security field.

Unfortunately I dont have any IT employment experience so far in my career and am looking for employment over the summer break from uni but as I have discovered- getting certified is only half the problem. Getting your first job in the industry is a whole different ball game!

Cheers
    Rob

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats and Welcome to the Chubby-No Zone- Forum!

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting a job, even a part-time job, is very important while you're in college. Employers will want someone with experience when you get out, and if you've already got some under your belt, that'll be a huge step up in your career.

As you have discovered, getting your first real IT job is the most difficult step. Grab the A+, Network+, and MCDST, and those will go a long way to helping you get your first IT job. Anything more than that, and you'll be overcertified for your experience level.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

As BM said lay of the CCNA untill you have experience with CISCO kit in a job and Well done on the Pass :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF, glad you've joined :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Cheers guys! :biggrin

Interesting points there BM- I never considered the additional problem of gaining so many certs that you can over qualify yourself compared to your experience. Certainly food for thought...

Excuse my n00bness but whats the MCDST? Im assuming its a Microsoft cert?

9. BosonMichael

Certainly the CCNA knoweldge will be worthwhile! Just saying that the cert itself won't automagically open doors at the beginning of your career (and could close some doors to entry-level jobs who don't need a CCNA-level candidate). So... if you do decide to get the CCNA before you get into IT, be judicious in putting it on your resume/CV only for those jobs where you think it'll make the difference in getting hired. :)

Yes, the MCDST is a Microsoft cert: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. Basically, supporting XP, which you'll likely be doing in your first IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Welcome 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Cheers mate, desktop support was exactly what I was looking to do as a start in the industry, hence the A+, so will look about for places to take the MCDST. XP is right up my street, not so much a fan of Vista lol.

13. BosonMichael

Fortunately or unfortunately, we have to learn about Vista to support it. In a way, it's a good thing! :D

14. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Hahaha very true, Sabayon Linux is my ideal weapon of choice but unfortunately Linux isnt as popular in this world as it deserves to be so yeah, gotta keep up with the latest thrilling instalment of Windows! :biggrin

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Just say no to chubbies.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Now it just so happens that I am a very good friend of Mordred and would like to congratulate him on passing the N+. :clap

Welcome to the forum and time permitting we should be posting instead of discussing the posts/subjects :lol:

And see, I said you would have to learn Vista. Like it or no.

Certifications: A+ Certified
  18. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Thanks for that reality check mucker :biggrin

Seriously though, cheers for the congrats. You could do worse than have a crack at N+ yourself mate, personally I find the subject is a lot more interesting than A+ so theres more to get your teeth into. Just my opinion of course.