Hi!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by LizzeyDripping, May 12, 2008.

1. LizzeyDripping

LizzeyDripping New Member

Hi all

Oh dear - I joined because I am looking for a career shift and wanted to find out about doing the Skillstrain C# course prior to getting into development as a career. So I have posted to this effect. From now looking at some of the other threads I am guessing this will make me very unpopular!

In my defence - I have spent the last two months genning up on what qualifications and / or training I will need to become a c# .NET developer and frankly this info is virtually impossible to come by unless you already know what you are doing! I want to retrain, from scratch, and although I see everywhere that A+ is the place to start, I already know about hardware and (sorry if I am very dumb) can't see how this helps me learn programming. I have no inclination to waste my time and (hard earned!) money on the wrong thing and I have been unable to find any local colleges or unis running introduction to c# courses.

So I thought that asking people who actually have experience of this was the way forward. I hope that I have not caused too much offence to people as the general consensus on the forum is that I must in some way have a vested interest to even mention it. I don't - I need some advice and as I mentioned above, there doesn't seem to be much help out there...

Anyway, that's me - I currently manage domain name portfolios for blue chip companies and provide first line IT support within my company. Please be nice to me - I just want some guidance! :biggrin

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

To get a programming gig the main requirement is that you can program, certs are not required, certainly not the A+. A lot of the advice on here is aimed at entry level support personel.

Most people get either a BSc or a HND in computer science to start their programming careers, others just code a lot as a hobby or migrate from other fields like maths/physics/engineering.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you truly want to do programming then, no, A+ isn't really a pre-requisite!

As a way of (cheaply) getting a feel of what C# is like you could always download the Microsoft C# Express edition, which is free, and buying a book on it. There is even a 'dummies' book on it, although I have no idea if it is any good.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You are correct; the A+ would not be useful to someone who wants to start out in programming. To get started in programming, the path is clear: learn to program! :)

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. LizzeyDripping

LizzeyDripping New Member

Hi to you all! And thanks, you have been very nice!

I actually do think self-study is the way forward for me rather than a training course - I have had to learn by experience how to manage our small business network and I am self taught on HTML which (though i say it myself) I have used very successfully to build websites - but obviously they are a little limited and I enjoy the programming side of things so much I just want to know more. If I can also get paid for it - major bonus!

It is also GREAT to know that I am not being a thicko by not seeing why the A+ would help me progress, thanks for the feedback! This always seemed to appear on the "career path" scenarios I have seen online and I just couldn't see why - made me terrified I was missing something really fundamental about the whole process. I worry too much!

The main problem was knowing where to start - so I am going to go and download C# Express and buy myself some books and take it from there. Just dive in, right?!

Many thanks guys - think I'll like it here! :biggrin

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I agree with whats been said, and you'll save yourself a fortune by self study :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Welcome,

Sorry I dont know enough about programming to give you any constructive advice.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  13. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the Forum

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome...
    Like already said, start to program, the A+ is intendid for a different career path.

Good Luck

16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! Good luck on your path to learn programming.